Ok so here is my first project car!

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2011, 08:43 AM
1st Gear Member

I just got news from my dad today my cars title still is not in from the dealer. They claimed when the title originally came in there wasn't room for another owner on it so they had to apply for a new one. My dad told the guy that we want it asap and the owner told him he would buy it back. After hearing this my dad told him sure, but you will be buying it for a minimum of 3000 because we have put too much work into it to just take a loss from it all. So right now my days with the car may be numbered, then again the title could come it tomorrow. Really unsure at the moment. If the shop does buy it back, I will be looking for another camaro though lol

Old 04-16-2011, 10:32 PM
1st Gear Member

Ok I believe I am finally done with giving the car a major tune up!!! Took long enough on a high schoolers budget. So I am planning on starting some of the bolt on mods now. Starting with the decision of Short ram air or cold air intakes. I am leaning towards a short ram air because the description of cold air is that it helps at higher RPMs. Which, i am keeping my rpms at around 2500 or less inorder to max my fuel economy. ( Like I said, high school budget, trying to maintain car and gas) Also, I found a Option Racing short ram air attachment for $42. Wanted to get a few opinions of what you guys think.

Option Racing Short Ram Intakes - Blue for 93-97 Chevrolet Camaro at Andy's Auto Sport

Old 04-16-2011, 10:42 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

get a cai. them short things dont do much of anything.

Old 04-16-2011, 10:45 PM
1st Gear Member

ok. any recommended sites to buy from? I found an RK sport cai for 178 but if I can find a good one for a little cheaper would be great. Also, how nice of a sound does a cai add to the car?

Old 04-17-2011, 01:53 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

i used summit to get the moroso. socom has a nice build thread have you look at it yet. https://camaroforums.com/forum/v6-te...pics%2A-53138/

Old 04-17-2011, 07:52 PM
1st Gear Member

Well the cai is going to need to hold off. I was driving around earlier, and my car started running hot. I couldn't hear the fans kick in or anything, i turned heat on, didnt help, ac on and off, and i couldn't hear anything start. So i babied the car a few more miles down the road to my house. So at the moment I am not sure whats causing the problem, really hoping its nothing major. Could this possibly be the head gaskets?

Old 04-17-2011, 08:04 PM
1st Gear Member

Ok I just went and checked the coolant levels, and it is at cold from what I can tell, and trust me, that engine isn't cold. Prior to that though, I started the car so i could move it back some tog et a little better light, and as soon as the car turned over and started it revved up to 3k rpm. I didn't touch the gas or anything at all. Any ideas?

Old 04-17-2011, 10:01 PM
September 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

My car does that sometimes. Right when I start it, it will jump to 2-3k and then it'll drop back down to 900 or so after a few seconds. I think that's normal if it's cold.

Old 04-19-2011, 01:02 AM
1st Gear Member

Ok Im not to sure if anyone from the 4th gen section has seen my post in the engine/ drive train forum, but hers my problem with the camaro. Ive nicknamed it Khaos, One its the most chaotic car ive had yet, and 2 thats the monster im downing tomorrow morning so it hought it seemed fit. Anyways, i ran the car really hot the other day. It didn' hit 260, but got dangerously close. The heat was ice cold, and when i turned it on, the engine temp went up. After babying it home, i parked it. The next day (today) my dad went to start it after putting extra water in the coolant system, and he said it started blowing white exhaust after a few minutes. I went to try to get a vid of it to show you guys, but now the car isn't starting. I turn the key, hear a thump, and the lights turn on dimly. I put the headlights on to see if the battery was dead and they turned on. My dad seems to thinmwe may have another clog in the coolant system, but now i am worried the engine siezed up. Also, I am not sure about the engines that will fit in this car and how much it will cost. All i know is that my gf's 2002 300m cost her a lil over 2k to put a used engine with 45k on it in her car. She blew 4 head gaskets, and it is also the 3.4l. Difference is she has a 24 valve. Anyways, any help would be great guys.

Old 04-19-2011, 05:59 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

sure sounds like you blew a head gasket. you may have a cylinder full of coolant and its not letting the motor turn over. take your plugs out and try turning it over. it will cost to have someone else replace the motor, 2k sounds about right to have a good shop do the job right. your car is setup to use a 3.4 so thats what you will want to replace with. any other motor will require mods that will cost more than the value of your car.

Quick Reply: Ok so here is my first project car!