ok im pissed new alternator and still!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2010, 10:33 PM
1st Gear Member

i just unhooked my battery for the night, maybe something it suck or something idk just gonna have to wait and see

Old 12-07-2010, 10:53 AM
Overdrive Member

I skimmed a few of the last posts but I did notice something that may help you here. Your fans do draw alot of current but they should not draw enough even stalled to kill the battery like you describe. Now the one device that has not been mentioned much is the AC comp. The clutch coil can draw alot of amps and it can draw enough to kill the battery. Disconnect the AC comp and see if you still have the issue when the fans come on. If so new clutch is needed, if not do as suggested by removing all aftermarket items etc...

Massey

Old 12-07-2010, 12:13 PM
1st Gear Member

I already disconnected the AC 2 days ago, still the same problem, I cant figure it out. I disconnected the battery last night hoping maybe a relay or just something or anything maybe stuck. idk ill find someday lol

Old 12-07-2010, 01:03 PM
Overdrive Member

having and knowing how to use a multimeter is a big plus in a repair like this. If you are not comfortable using one find friend or neighbor who is and you could locate the issue in a matter of minutes or hours instead of days.

Massey

Old 12-07-2010, 01:27 PM
1st Gear Member

picture of the terminals
Name:  photo-1.jpg
Views: 12
Size:  119.5 KB
My new useless alternator
Name:  photo.jpg
Views: 13
Size:  72.5 KB

Old 12-11-2010, 12:33 PM
1st Gear Member

Sorry to bring this up again, but the connector on the alternator (Small wire) is this wire a ground(-) or is it a positive(+) switch from the PCM? Ive heard this connector is a sort of switch to tell the alternator to start generating, charging the battery.

Old 12-11-2010, 04:21 PM
XxCaMeLxxToSiSxX

i just read through all the post, have you unhooked all after market equipment yet ? mainly the amp, they draw a ton of power and at 1000 it really should have a cap. I would start by listening to the suggestions of dissconecting all after market equipment and see how it goes. This does not mean shut it off this means disconnect it entirely.

Old 12-11-2010, 04:42 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

yes that is the exciter wire and it should have power to it when the key is on and not have power when the key is off.
Originally Posted by ChevyManCam
Sorry to bring this up again, but the connector on the alternator (Small wire) is this wire a ground(-) or is it a positive(+) switch from the PCM? Ive heard this connector is a sort of switch to tell the alternator to start generating, charging the battery.

Old 12-11-2010, 06:19 PM
1st Gear Member

all equipment is disconnected, nothing is connected, its been like that ever since it was suggested and still have the problem.
@Craby, hey would it be possible to hook this wire to the fuse block just to test to see it this is my problem, would it hurt anything? Please tell me it would be ok, I would just do it to test to see if maybe this is the cause. Ive noticed something to day while driving, the volt meter was flopping up and down then I hit a bump and the volt meter jumped above 13 steady. Im taking a wild guess my problem is with this connection to the alternator.
I have checked all connections, grounds, and positives and everything appears to be connected fine, the only connection I havent really checked into is the connector from the alternator to the PCM.

Old 12-11-2010, 08:08 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

yes you can jump it to 12v but dont leave it after you shut the motor off or it will drain your battery, lol. that is something you havent tried unhooking or is it?

Quick Reply: ok im pissed new alternator and still!!!