ok im pissed new alternator and still!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2010, 10:33 PM
1st Gear Member

yeah with my luck, ill probably forget to unhook it lol, I will connect it to a fuse that only gets power when the ignition is in the on position.
Why I also think this is the problem is because if the volt gauge reads 13 when I shut the car off, and I turn the key back into the On position the volts are back in the red, the alternator is not completely charging the battery all the time.

btw nice boat! lol

Old 12-24-2010, 11:44 PM
1st Gear Member

i know this is old, but I finally found out my charging problem, i took the alternator into auto and got it tested, it failed all 3 tests and I exchanged it, now it stays charged 13 or abit over when running all acc. also when I put the key to the ON position it will hit 13 instead on in the red. Problem solved.

Old 12-25-2010, 01:58 AM
Overdrive Member

Glad you got it solved. I thought the alt you had was new? If it was dont buy that kind again bad news.

Massey

Old 12-25-2010, 11:02 AM
2nd Gear member

Congrats. What brand alternator did you have? I know that some of the lifetime warranty remains at the big chain stores can be a real crap shoot. Sometimes they work, sometimes not, and sometimes only for a little while.

Hopefully this will be the last big headache you will have with the car and you and your wife can enjoy cruising now.

Old 12-25-2010, 07:15 PM
1st Gear Member

its a duralast, and i wont ever buy that brand again however i had a Lifetime on it so I just exchanged it.
@Massey yeah it was a brand new alternator, however I must have gotten a bad one thats why I exchanged it.
I do have a new wierd problem not sure about this but today while I was driving I stopped at a gas statuion to get a drink and noticed my front parking marker (for DRL) the driver side was out and the turn signal wouldnt work. I drove it to my mothers and was there for x max dinner, when I left I tried the turn signal and it worked, so tomorrow Im going to take the bottom half of the dash off to see if the last owner messed with any wiring.
@grandpaswagon: if you see my first post in this thread and look at the date, this has been my main headache since I bought the car. and yes I am very much enjoying the ride now everything seems alot smoother thanks
and merry Christmas to all ho ho ho

Old 12-25-2010, 07:25 PM
1st Gear Member

I also would like to take a second here and thank everyone for your help, and fast responses, Ive mention this before and ill say it again, I feel like family here and your all good people. have a safe and wonderful new year

Old 12-25-2010, 08:21 PM
3rd Gear Member

I've bought numerous duralast parts that failed out the box.

Old 12-26-2010, 12:56 AM
1st Gear Member

this was the first time a duralast alternator failed me.

Old 12-26-2010, 02:21 AM
Overdrive Member

Duralast parts are compairable to what CSK auto was selling back in the 80's when they sold just about everything under the sun and autoparts seemed to take a second seat. I sell 1 yr warranty stuff that usually lasts longer than a Duralast Lifetime. Advance Auto and O'Reilly both get their Alternators and Starters (and a few other rebuit parts) from the same supplier just put in different boxes and trust me when I tell you they are as close to new as you can get with out buying new.

For the DRL my car does the same thing too and I have tracked the issue to the BCM. I dont know why it does this but turning the car off then back on seems to solve the issue. Some times the light will go off after using the signals, a bump or a jiggle of the turn signal lever sometimes fixes the problem.

Massey

Old 12-26-2010, 03:43 AM
2nd Gear member

I never get electrical stuff at advance. I use napa for my electrical stuff.

Quick Reply: ok im pissed new alternator and still!!!