ok im pissed new alternator and still!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2010, 05:33 PM
Overdrive Member
Technical User

just curious what size is the amp do you have a cap if so what size

as for the fans they draw alot of power when my fans come on my gauge will drop about 2 needles worth of space then as soon as they kick off it will jump right back up but for some reason my fans hardly come on and my car is always below 195

Old 12-06-2010, 06:06 PM
1st Gear Member

the amp is runnng probably less then 400 RMS, its not a name brand and nothing close to special hell I dont even know the name of it. Ill get that later.
I have a 180 thermostat so it never hits passed the first line on the temp gauge, however like i said the fans do not kick on by them selfs anymore and so I turn the ac on to run the fans, I disconnected the connector to the ac thinking maybe the ac was robbing all the volts but its not.

Old 12-06-2010, 06:08 PM
Overdrive Member
Technical User

hmmmm sounds like maybe you have a parasitic leak somewhere check all your grounds and make sure there clean and clean the junction box that your power cable is connected to and the ground right next to it

also did you disconnect your amp if not check the ground to that i had almost the same problem and i moved my ground for the amp and all was good the ground cable should be the same size as the power and no longer that 16 inches (not sure why on the length but i know it matters)

Last edited by BasicConcepts; 12-06-2010 at 06:10 PM.
Old 12-06-2010, 07:12 PM
1st Gear Member

just checked amp ground, and it is bolted on a nut (rear seat belt bolt) its not a very long ground wire. My amp is a SPX AUDIO AMP 1,000 WATTS, and that is WATTS not RMS. I just tried researching this amp and came up empty handed. On top of all that i have been through with this car so far, MAF Sensor $135, IAC $35, Battery $99, Alternator $135, coolent & Thermostat $45, Valve cover gaskets/TBI Base gasket and EGR Valve Gasket $25 oops almost forgot, new Cat +labor $170
Just before I was about to get into my car to head to my parents house, I observed a rear passenger side tire flat flat flat. My wife is *****ing I should have never bought a Camaro, I just told her to be quite and mind your business.

Last edited by ChevyManCam; 12-06-2010 at 07:21 PM.
Old 12-06-2010, 07:22 PM
1st Gear Member

Im thinking about parking my baby until after taxes, I cant afford any more parts or tires

Old 12-06-2010, 08:07 PM
Overdrive Member
Technical User

can you post a pic of the amp im pretty good with that stuff

as for the ground wire thats no good i suggest you find the rear frame rails in the hatch and drill thru the floor and the rail clean all the paint off the floor and the bottom of the rail to bare steel and bolt the ground there (youll need a long bit the rail is boxed) then after you bolt that on take some spray paint and go over it to prevent corrosion id also suggest a 2 farid cap i know 1000 watts (400 rms) doesnt sound like alot but i have a 300 watt POS walmart amp that needs a cap when my sub hits all my lights dim not to mention it saves your battery when you get crazy bass drops

Old 12-06-2010, 08:33 PM
1st Gear Member

ill take a picture for you tomorrow basic, and ill take a few pics of battery terminals and were my power wire is hooked up. Also ive been hearing that the cooling fans run in 2 modes, low and high. I think when I turn the ac on, the fans run in the lowest mode is this true?

Old 12-06-2010, 08:33 PM
Overdrive Member
Technical User

if they do run at 2 speeds they would prob run on high with the ac

Old 12-06-2010, 08:39 PM
1st Gear Member

thats what I would think but when I check the fans while running they seem like there on low.

Old 12-06-2010, 08:40 PM
Overdrive Member
Technical User

idk my fans only come on in the middle of the summer in very heavy traffic i havent heard them since like aug

Quick Reply: ok im pissed new alternator and still!!!