ok im pissed new alternator and still!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2010, 12:35 AM
1st Gear Member
Default ok im pissed new alternator and still!!!

Same problem with battery draining while driving, I have a new battery and just spent 135 on a new alternator and it still sucks my volts down.
I know I have a bad ac compressor its very noisy when I turn the AC on, probably bearings, or ac clutch. HELP!!

I take that back, the battery drains if im stopped for more then a minute , oil pressure gauge flops while driving and my sub will begin to just make alot of bass when the volts reach 13.

Last edited by ChevyManCam; 12-04-2010 at 12:42 AM.
Old 12-04-2010, 01:27 AM
3rd Gear Member

Sounds like amp is shorting. Do you have a fuse on the power wire? Is it the right amp fuse? Where is the amp wire connected. If you connected the amp power wire to the alt it would explain the broken alt and why this one is failing now also. Disconnect amp or remove fuse and see what happens. Post up your amp, size of wire, fuse amp size, and a where it is connected. Pic of wire hookup would help alot.

Old 12-04-2010, 01:38 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

bummer, try unhooking things one at a time and see if the battery dies, maybe you can find it that way.

Old 12-04-2010, 03:03 AM
1st Gear Member

my volts are good when the AC is off, but as soon as I turn it on and say, stopped at a light the volts start to creep down and sway up n down, if i sit there to long it will go below 13 volts.
There is a fuse on the power wire, i have the power wire connect to the red little box mounted by the battery. It was hooked up to the battey cable but it made the cable loose to I mounted it there.
Ill start looking at the amp tomorrow, but last time I checked the power light on the amp was off when the car is off.

Old 12-04-2010, 03:06 AM
1st Gear Member

btw, whats up with the DRL's on the camaro? it seems to have a mind of its own, sometimes just the parking markers light up for the DRL's and then other times all the lights light up and I didnt even turn them on?

Old 12-04-2010, 03:48 AM
Overdrive Member

Your DRLs should only be the parking lights. Camaros didnt use the heads as DRLs. Heads are ativated by the auto light sensor on the dash next to the security LED. I believe that 97+ the auto headlight feature was standard on all Camaros. Both systems should be controlled by the BCM.
As for the power issues I would start by checking all battery and alternator connections and also remove the amp wiring for now. If the problem persists then you can rule out the amp. If the problem goes away then you know the amp is causing it. Some amps can easily over power the stock alternator and battery. Also make sure you have a good connection with the sensor wire going into the alternator. If this does not make good contact the alternator can turn on and off as the connection is made and opened.

Massey

Old 12-04-2010, 11:55 AM
1st Gear Member

ahhh thanks Massey for explaining the DRL's I park my car under a car port and in the day time all my lights turn on if I start it up under there, probably because its in the shade im guessing. I was not sure it the car had auto light sensors.
All the connectors seem fine. Still wondering about my AC though, because i can drive with the system turned up and my volts are fine, its when ever I turn the AC is when the problem starts

Old 12-04-2010, 01:02 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

If your compressor is looking up at times it could cause the belt to slip. Slipping belt would mean no power. Pull the plug on your AC compressor until you replace it.

Old 12-04-2010, 01:19 PM
1st Gear Member

im going to do that right now haha. Pull the plug.

Old 12-04-2010, 02:38 PM
1st Gear Member

removed plug to ac and it appears the volts are more steady now, is the volt gauge suppose to be a little after 13 or a little before the line after 13? and is it normal for the volts to be in red on a cold start, then move passed 13?

Quick Reply: ok im pissed new alternator and still!!!