No power to fuel pump plug above axle

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2021, 01:20 PM
Default No power to fuel pump plug above axle

Hi everyone I have a 00 v6 camaro. It broke down 8 years ago I got it running but then it no longer got fuel. I am trying to get it running again but keep hitting all kinds of road blocks. My current issue is no power to fuel pump. I get battery power at pin 87 of fuel pump relay but when I jump 87 to 30 and test for power at the plug above the axle I have no power. I do however get the 5v reference for fuel level so ground is good? I am unsure what to do now other then tear the interior out and start wire tracing. Any help would be appreciated.

Old 02-09-2021, 06:22 PM
2nd Gear member

You can check the wiring between the relay and pump with a continuity test without disassembling the interior. With the fuel pump relay removed and the ignition "OFF", ground the gray wire at the pump connector to a body ground, then do a test at pin #30 of the fuel pump relay socket to a ground. If you have continuity between the two points, the wiring should be good between the pump and the relay. If not, then you're going to have to find where the circuit break is with further inspection of the wiring.

Old 02-10-2021, 01:05 PM

Peterpar thanks for the tip. Through trying that I found that my lower fuse box is the one that runs the pump always thought it was the top.

the circuit does work and sends the 12v prime however I came across a weird thing. Whenever I back probed the plug above the axle without the pump harness plugged in it ran the 12v but whenever the harness was plugged in it only went up to 20 mV i am attaching pics to help show.

Back probe without harness

I get 12v

Backprobe with harness

21.3mV

Old 02-10-2021, 11:30 PM
2nd Gear member

I'm sorry, but I can't tell from your pictures what you're trying to read between or what you have the meter set at. Perhaps you can tell me where you have the meter leads using the drawing below and what rating the meter is set on. The connector face drawing is C405B. I believe you should using terminals B3 and C3 of connector C405B, B3 (Gray Wire) is the 12V supply from the relay and C3 (Black Wire) is a ground. With the connectors unplugged, the pump is not in the circuit, so your reading 12V straight to a ground between the two terminals in the connector. With the connectors plugged together the pump and meter now are in parallel with each other, so that may be why your getting a MV reading.

Old 02-10-2021, 11:53 PM

I appreciate the time you are giving me.

Yes its terminal b3 and c3. Meter is set to volts DC. I understand what you are saying. I am at a loss with this car. It has all new fuel components ( pump, filter, pressure regulator, injectors, fuses and relays ), but It no longer powers the pump. I have done bench testing on the pump with and without the harness and works fine both times. However when everything is installed in the car I get nothing from the pump. No priming sounds and I have disconnected the line before fuel filter and nothing flows.

I have tested the ecu and crank sensor as well and both are fine.

Let me explain somethings further maybe will help diagnosis. I bought the car next day the plastic heater elbows broke so I fixed those with metal ones then the oil filter adapter broke and I quit working on it out of frustration and it sat for 7 years no fuel in it. I then decided to get it fixed and replaced the adapter filled it up with a gallon of gas ran it to see if it would run and sure enough we were golden. I drove it to the gas station just fine and filled it up with gas then went to drive it home as I pulled out of gas station it sputtered and died and I could no longer get it to start. I sat for about 5 minutes tried again and it started up so I floored it and started driving but it was now overheating so I pulled over and car sputtered and died again. Would no longer start at all so I towed it home and replaced fuel pump it would start and run for about 10 seconds then die so I replaced injectors and regulator as they were old anyways. Again it would run for 10 seconds and die after about 5 more attempts it would no longer start so I figured a defective fuel pump got another and still nothing. Now we are at this complicated road that I despise so much.

Old 02-11-2021, 05:23 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

is your security light on all the time or blinking

Old 02-11-2021, 09:23 AM
2nd Gear member

Bottom line, if you place a jumper between the fuel pump relay terminals 30 and 87 with the relay removed, the pump should run. Verify this first so you know if the pump has 12V power being supplied to it from the relay. If 12V are present at the rear connector with the jumper installed at the relay, then check for a bad connection in the connectors going to the pump or the fuel pump relay could be bad. I personally have had to replace this relay twice on my 2000 LS1 car. Also something to remember, if the meter lead probes are larger than the socket that their inserted into, this can damage a connector and cause a loose connection.