Fog lamp bulb replacement

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2010, 11:10 AM
2nd Gear member

I helped with a friend's Z one time, and I was able to remove his from the front. But, in general, they're supposed to be easier to get to from below. Tha manuals recommend it, and my inboard tabs sit close enough to the bodywork that I would worry about scratching. I had the black paint on my car's nose done in gloss black and don't want any more scratches than what the road throws at it.

Old 07-22-2010, 01:21 PM
September 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by 1augapfel
Chaotic, on my 94 the outboard plastic pin is accessible and I did remove it. The inboard one, however, is jammed up against the tunnel that the lamp sits in. It's that way for both lamps. Are your lamps centered in their openings?
My lamps are indeed centered. It sounds like the front of your car has been bumped a little bit by something alot bigger than a Camaro lol. The nose piece is flexible enough tho to push it out of the way to remove the pin tho. Try it and see what happens.

Old 08-06-2010, 04:05 PM
2nd Gear member

I replaced both the bulbs today. The car was on a lift for PA's safety inspection and I could get a good look at what was going on under there. What a PITA for bulb replacement!
Step 1 was to remove the 3 plastic rivets that hold the underside of the front bumper cover/fascia/whatever where it curls upward to touch the radiator support. Then I pulled the now-loosened flap downward to expose the foglamp mounting bracket screws.
On the RH side I removed the screws and then tried to lower the fog lamp and bracket assembly. No way. You can't go out the front hole and you can't drop the whole thing down either, because the bulb and connector poke through a hole in the front surface of the radiator support. Are you kidding me? Who the F designed this mess? We're talking *bulb replacement* here!
So I discovered that you can stick your hand betweent he plastic radiator baffle and the radiator support to reach up and unplug the bulb connector, Then you twist and remove the bulb. Reverse the steps for installation.
I did the driver side too so I'd have (well, my daughter would have) two new bulbs up there. I didn't bother to unscrew the brackets on that side. I just stuck my hand between the air baffle and the rad support to unplug and swap the bulb.
Two new bulbs in place so she should be good to go for awhile.
I'm just stunned at how awful a simple bulb replacement is for the foglamps.

Last edited by 1augapfel; 08-06-2010 at 04:08 PM.