Fog lamp bulb replacement

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2010, 09:31 AM
2nd Gear member
Default Fog lamp bulb replacement

Geez Louise, how do you get to the fog lamp bulbs to replace them? I can *see* the back of the fog lamp assembly from under the hood looking past the washer fluid reservoir but to get there, no way. The underside is closed off so there's no access there.
The Owners Manual has basic instructions for all the other exterior bulbs but is strangely silent on the fog lamp bulbs and that probably means trouble. Just how much disassembly is required?
On every junkyard Camaro I've seen it looks like the whole fog lamp assembly has been ripped out using a tow hook. Ugly.

Old 07-21-2010, 12:41 PM
2nd Gear member

What year range is your Camaro? '93-97? Or, '98-up?

If it's a '97 or older, you have to access the plastic pins locking the foglight in place from underneath. Undo part of the airdam on the side you're needing to work on and then undo the plastic access panel that encloses the side of the car you're foglight is on. With the panel removed, you'll be able to get at those two tabs (one on each side of the light). Remove them and the light will be able to be pulled out from the front of the car. You will also be able to twist the bulb socket at that time.

Unfortunately, if it's any newer I have no experience with replacing the foglight... yet. There's one in the driveway, but I haven't had to mess with the foglights yet.

I usually use a small screwdriver to pry the heads of the plastic locking tabs out just a bit and then grab them with some needle-nose pliers. There's around 5 or so bolts holding those lower panels in place.

Old 07-21-2010, 01:19 PM
2nd Gear member

Thanks. My car is a 94. Went to the local U-Pull-It yard earlier today and there were 2 new entries - a 94 and a 95. On both the fog lamps had been brutally yanked from their brackets. :-(

Old 07-21-2010, 04:16 PM
2nd Gear member

Not a problem at all. They're getting to be hot items since getting them new from GM will run around $150 a piece. I remember when you could find them on e-bay all day long. Now, they're getting scarcer to come by.

Old 07-21-2010, 04:48 PM
Overdrive Member

Sounds like a good time to switch to HIDs... ;-) I went with DDM Tuning for low beams -- still debating about fogs...

Old 07-21-2010, 11:49 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

yep there easier than changing plugs. lol. you gotta take the three plastic retainers off the facia so it will drop down then take the bolts off from the under cover on that side so it will move outa the way. you should be able to get your hand up in there and get the bulb out without taking the whole thing out. i do anyways. took the light housing out the first time and after looking it over changed em without removing.

Old 07-22-2010, 12:12 AM
2nd Gear member

Yeah, changing the bulb is easier. I ended up having to replace the lens this last time when a rock shattered it. That baby wasn't coming back to life no matter what fix I threw at it.

Old 07-22-2010, 12:20 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

were d you find just the lense? i had to buy the whole thing. tried some of the cheap plastic ones and didnt like em. to bright so i was getting brighted all the time. the bulbs last way longer if theres no cracks.

Old 07-22-2010, 12:22 AM
September 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Is it necessary to remove the bottom bumper panels (airdam) to replace the bulb? I was able to get my whole fog lamp assembly out of the bumper from the front of the car... Just a couple of plastic pins holding it in there. I was able to pull them out from the front using some needle nose pliers after prying them out a little bit with a flat head screw driver. Probably easier from the front than underneath? Only took me about 10 minutes to change both bulbs in mine

Old 07-22-2010, 06:26 AM
2nd Gear member

Chaotic, on my 94 the outboard plastic pin is accessible and I did remove it. The inboard one, however, is jammed up against the tunnel that the lamp sits in. It's that way for both lamps. Are your lamps centered in their openings?

Quick Reply: Fog lamp bulb replacement