Driveline Vibration Tune or Mechanical?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2011, 12:07 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Originally Posted by craby
the pinion angle on a stock 4th gen is 0 so i think your ok there.
He's not ok, his problem has nothing to do with pinion angle.
Originally Posted by Kopack2007
The mechanic ordered me a factory trans mount today. He also told me that since the car is lowered and with the new poly mounts there is no pitch on the drive shaft. He showed me with a degree gauge that the drive shaft and trans tail was a straight shot to the rearend, and there should be at least a 1/2 of degree of pitch. I would have guessed the straighter the better?? He then told me this would wear out the u-joints?? Is he correct or feeding me some ****??
Again, the mechanic is correct, and knows what he's talking about. You do not want the driveshaft to be in a perfect straight line from the trans to the rearend. This has nothing to do with pinion angle, that's a separate measurement. The driveshaft wants to have a downward angled pitch to the rearend, this makes the needle bearings in the u-joints spin. If the driveshaft is straight, there is little load on the u-joint bearings, and the joints could just turn without spinning the bearings. This will cause what's called "brinelling", where the bearings staying in one place puts indentations into the bearing surface of the u-joint. The result will be a u-joint chatter, better described as a bad vibration.