Cruise Control Module

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2013, 06:14 AM
In the Staging Lanes

This is a different diagram than the owners manual of a cruise control location. Of the supplied photos and the one in my Chiltons book, the cruise module is shown on the inside of the frame. Sort of behind the radiator. On my vehicle, I have gone nuts searching for it in that area.

If #9 in the above diagram is the cruise module, it is shown further to the front on the outside of the frame. I don't know what part #14 is, but the cruise looks to be inside of that part.

As soon as it warms up (later this week), I will look in that area. I know this cruise is hidden pretty well. I have looked for it about 3-4 months, now, and I never dreamed it would be this hard just to find it..........

Old 03-24-2013, 08:10 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

as that mount is bolted on it goes under the frame.

Old 03-24-2013, 11:19 AM
4th Gear Member

Number 15 is the module and 14 is the bracket.....but this gives a good picture of where everything should be in dealing with the cruise control.

I'll see if I can get under mine today and get some pics to give you a better shot of where it's at.

Old 03-25-2013, 05:13 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Yes, all brake lights are working correctly. I prefer to troubleshoot an item rather than take things apart and checking. I can easily removed the CC plug (once I find the darn thing) and check it's inputs.

This is my wife's Camaro. Mine has no luxeries like a CC. She drives her car to work all this week. Plus, it just won't be warm enough to crawl under it until Saturday....

Old 04-02-2013, 12:46 PM
In the Staging Lanes

I have been looking on my Camaro for this so-called cruise control module. I "specified" I have a 2002 Camaro. All responses is that the cruise module is on the frame on the driver's side. I have finally come to the conclusion that you "experts" just don't what you are talking about.

Read this..........

Drive by wire systems allows for a faster throttle response, better control over throttle application when combined with traction control and ABS and "eliminates the need for a separate cruise control module". The system basically consists of the accelerator pedal with the built in potentiometer (variation of voltage output with pedal position), this is known as the APP (Accelerator Pedal Position), the TACS (Throttle actuator Controller) module and then the Servomotor and throttle sensor on the throttle body.

Since there is no separate cruise control, there is no way to find it on the frame. I will take the car to the dealer and let him fix this issue.

So far, zero dollars wasted, but a lot of time wasted on replies of people who just don't know anything more than me.

Who fixes your Cars??

Old 04-02-2013, 03:11 PM
2nd Gear member

from what i have read, no one that answered actually had one of these cars themselves. But they still tried to figure out what your problem was and were on the right track. these guys are actually very intelligent but no one knows every single thing about every last car. so there is no need to go insulting someone just because they couldnt answer a question you clearly couldnt either.

take it or leave it basically. you wanted help from here, they tried. stop being a jerk off and have a nice day ingrate.

Old 04-02-2013, 05:46 PM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by jlbonnie2000
Who fixes your Cars??
I fix my own cars. The only thing I don't do myself is writing my inspection sticker; I have a friend owned garage for that.

You specified 2002, we get that. You have to remember though, from 1993 when the 4th gen was first introduced to 2002 when they discontinued it, the lay out for the car stayed nearly exactly the same. So many of the parts in question are located in the same spot and even interchangeable between the years.

As far as drive by wire having faster throttle response, that is not true. When you smash on the throttle in a cable driven application, the blades are open in the same amount of time it took your foot to reach the floor. Drive by wire, in design, has a millisecond delay, between the throttle position and the blade position.

As stated, no one hear knows everything and none of us pretend too. That's why I called the GM dealership next door to where I work; to verify whether what I knew was right or not and based off what they have in their system, it was. Maybe she lied to me (wouldn't surprise me as most women do).

No one in this thread, or even on this forum, said they were "experts".
I'm ASE and work for an auto parts store and know more than most my age, but I still go into work most days and learn something I didn't, or even a more efficient and less expensive way of doing something. And there will be days where I'll show up some one who's been working in a garage for 25-35 years.

Hopefully your dealership fairs better than mine.

Old 04-02-2013, 07:23 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

hay i thought i hit on that traction control deal once or twice. an im just a lowly crab fisherman.

Old 04-02-2013, 10:13 PM
4th Gear Member

Craby, you're one of the most knowledgeable and capable persons on this forum, especially when it comes to the traction control.

Old 04-03-2013, 09:48 PM
Overdrive Member

From 99-2002 the TC and CC modules were part of the PCM for the V6 cars. In 99 the 3800 engine got throttle by wire wich removed the cable from the petal to the engine and replaced it with a sensor at the petal and a servo operated throttle body. This system also eliminated the IAC and TC and CC modules as the computer could manipulate the throttle directly through the servo. The TC could be programed in or out of the computer if you wanted (it sucked to have it if you did). The system works really well and is very reliable. Most of the time if you have a TC or CC problem it is speed sensors that cause them not the TBW.

Massey