Coolant puddle on floor, Need help troubleshooting the problem.

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2017, 08:00 PM
In the Staging Lanes

So I'm finally able to spend some time on this beast... and watching a video and reading my Haynes repair manual... neither say to remove the alternator but in the video the alternator is gone... so yeah I take it off?

Old 05-02-2017, 09:16 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

go here and download the factory service/shop manual,,, looks like you will need to use the 96 manual, should be same as yours except some of the dash an console. https://www.mediafire.com/?40mfgeoe4ctti

Old 07-23-2017, 02:02 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default Fuel line disconnect problem.

So, it's been awhile. Anyway, when I left off I had just removed the alternator and started to disconnect the fuel lines. I got one off really easy. The second one isn't wanting to come off. I went to autozone and bought the little plastic line and hose release kit thing. The small fuel line thing worked well for the first line. I have tried both (it came with 2 sizes) on the second line and I just can't get the second line to release. Is there a secret to it? Do I need to use more force? The first one came off so easy I was afraid using much force on the second might damage it. Thanks in advance for you're help!

(also, I finally downloaded that manual craby. Thanks!)

Last edited by JennROCKS81; 07-23-2017 at 02:56 PM. Reason: forgot a line
Old 07-23-2017, 06:35 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default Nevermind. I finally got it.

Originally Posted by JennROCKS81
So, it's been awhile. Anyway, when I left off I had just removed the alternator and started to disconnect the fuel lines. I got one off really easy. The second one isn't wanting to come off. I went to autozone and bought the little plastic line and hose release kit thing. The small fuel line thing worked well for the first line. I have tried both (it came with 2 sizes) on the second line and I just can't get the second line to release. Is there a secret to it? Do I need to use more force? The first one came off so easy I was afraid using much force on the second might damage it. Thanks in advance for you're help!

(also, I finally downloaded that manual craby. Thanks!)

Disregard. I finally got it off! I went and got the Lisle brand kit of disconnectors and it worked like a charm.

Old 07-24-2017, 12:24 AM
In the Staging Lanes

I'm posting a picture of the connector I broke awhile ago. (Sorry, the pic posted sideways) I'd like to know what it is so I can get a replacement.

Also, how do I remove the MAP sensor? I'm stuck on that now.

Old 07-25-2017, 06:48 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

That boot is a common failure point, most autoparts store have them in the red help section. Since you don't seem in a hurry Rockauto.com has saved me a lot of money over the years but you may needs the parts man help with somethings.

You can leave most parts like the MAP sensor connected. Just unplug the wiring harness. If I remember right you don't even need to unplug the vacuum hose. I am a little worried what you are talking about is not the map sensor.

You did take a lot of pictures? The engine can be quite a jigsaw puzzle if you don't know how all the systems work. You can get yourself in a lot of trouble if you put it back together wrong. Mechanics are trained to find broken and worn parts. Finding a human mistake can't be quoted and can cost as much as the original job.

Last edited by Gorn; 07-25-2017 at 02:19 PM.
Old 07-26-2017, 09:55 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by Gorn
That boot is a common failure point, most autoparts store have them in the red help section. Since you don't seem in a hurry Rockauto.com has saved me a lot of money over the years but you may needs the parts man help with somethings.

You can leave most parts like the MAP sensor connected. Just unplug the wiring harness. If I remember right you don't even need to unplug the vacuum hose. I am a little worried what you are talking about is not the map sensor.

You did take a lot of pictures? The engine can be quite a jigsaw puzzle if you don't know how all the systems work. You can get yourself in a lot of trouble if you put it back together wrong. Mechanics are trained to find broken and worn parts. Finding a human mistake can't be quoted and can cost as much as the original job.

Thanks for the reply Gorn! I really appreciate you guys helping out. I have been taking pictures, no worries there. Hopefully I've taken enough. I do believe it's the MAP sensor. I disconnected the wire but I thought I had to take it off in order to remove the fuel rail. I'll try leaving it on. It just looked like it might be in the way. I'll attach a picture and I'll appreciate confirmation on what it is. I've been enjoying this project. I take some stuff off or disconnect things and then get to a spot where I'm like hmm. Then I do a little research and ask you guys for advice. I've learned a lot already and I'm developing a sense of pride for this car! I've always liked it, but now I like it even more. I'll probably get out there and work on it today for a little while. I'd like to get it done before Monday but I don't think I'll be able too. Maybe. I don't know.

Thanks for the warning about human mistakes. I'm trying my best not to make any so far. I understand the concern since I'm pretty much a total noob at car fixin'!

Old 09-15-2017, 08:24 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default Plenum off, how far do I go?

This project got put on hold, I had to have foot surgery. Anyway, Today I removed the fuel rail and the plenum. I found the place where the gasket was leaking so I'm very pleased about that! I put some paper towels in the holes so nothing falls down in them when I take the gasket off.

What kind of cleaner can I use to get the grease and dirt off of the plenum, throttle body, and the intake manifold? I want it to shine!

Also, I see a lot of gunk around the valve covers. Should I remove those and get new gaskets for them?

the fuel injectors look old. Should I go ahead and replace those too?

I feel like I've got all this stuff taken off maybe i should address any other possible issues.

Thank you all! I would love to be done by Sunday or early in the week.

Old 09-16-2017, 06:54 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

First I would say you need to be 100% sure you found the leak. There is a very common issue with leaking lower intake gaskets, it is so common in fact I recommend to people who are sure that the gasket has not been replaced to just go ahead and replace it even if it not leaking because it will.

While you drive the car the coolant blows all over the place, it can make locating a leak buy puddle tuff. I have seen many times when younger mechanic end up doing a coolant leak repair twice because they jumped to a conclusion. Then there is the possibility of mutable leaks.

The point I am trying to make is you should finish what you started. Get a new intake gasket in there and replace those plastic elbows. If you do the 3800 will be ready for another 20 year.

I like to use brake cleaner on parts when I do not have access to a parts washer.

Last edited by Gorn; 09-16-2017 at 06:57 AM.
Old 09-17-2017, 06:01 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by Gorn
First I would say you need to be 100% sure you found the leak. There is a very common issue with leaking lower intake gaskets, it is so common in fact I recommend to people who are sure that the gasket has not been replaced to just go ahead and replace it even if it not leaking because it will.

While you drive the car the coolant blows all over the place, it can make locating a leak buy puddle tuff. I have seen many times when younger mechanic end up doing a coolant leak repair twice because they jumped to a conclusion. Then there is the possibility of mutable leaks.

The point I am trying to make is you should finish what you started. Get a new intake gasket in there and replace those plastic elbows. If you do the 3800 will be ready for another 20 year.

I like to use brake cleaner on parts when I do not have access to a parts washer.
So keep going. I can do that. Looks like I'll be spending the day in the garage again! How long would this project typically take a person who isn't a beginner?

What have you found to be the easiest and least messy way to clean the parts with brake cleaner? Lay them out on towels? Put them in a big tub or bin? Do I rinse them with water after I clean all the grime off?

Jenn

Quick Reply: Coolant puddle on floor, Need help troubleshooting the problem.