Car Won't Start...Need Help!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2009, 11:23 AM
Default Car Won't Start...Need Help!!

Hi Guys,

I have my 94 Camaro LT1 stored for a couple of years. The car started and idled for about 20 min but as soon as I touched the gas she cut off. There was a lot of black smoke when the car was idling. Added some more fuel with injector cleaner. No difference. New plugs and still no difference. The car will not start at all now. I figure that there is a problem with the opti-spark. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 06-27-2009, 01:30 PM
Tech Droid

Before doing anything, check for trouble codes and fix the complaint.
For an engine to start and run it needs fuel, spark, and compression. All in the proper amounts and at the proper time. Since the engine was running before it came to a stop, compression is not an issue. The black smoke is an indication of excessively rich fuel mixture. This could be due to excessive fuel pressure, injector/s stuck or being held open, or misfire causing raw fuel into the exhaust system. Check the fuel pressure with a FI gage. Check that the injectors are being pulsed by using cheap NOID lights. The light will flash each time the injector is being pulsed, a steady light means the injector is being held open, usually the lead from the PCM to injector is damaged and contacting ground. The injector could be damaged and stuck open, use a stethoscope and listen to the injector, a clicking sound means that the injector is actually operating an most likely OK. If the fuel system check out OK, verify that the spark plugs and wires are in good condition. Fouled or wet plug won't fire properly, and bad wires will keep the spark from reaching the plugs. If these are OK, remove the ignition coil and ignition module, and get them tested, many parts stores do that free of charge. If everything checks out OK, it may be time to change the opti. Do not waste your time and money replacing just the cap and rotor, replace the whole unit, at this time also replace the water pump, as an old pump will soon leak on your new opty and destroy it.

Old 06-27-2009, 01:46 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

^^ agree