car won't start

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2012, 10:52 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default car won't start

Just to start this thread off, I did read the "help my car won't start" sticky. Unfortunately, I can't do any of the tests right now. Anyway, I drove my car to work this morning (98 v6) and it seemed completely fine. When I went to leave work, it wouldn't start. I opened my door and the courtesy lights came on. They went off as normal when I inserted the key into the ignition. The alarm light (Viper i think?) was blinking about once every second, which is normal. When I turned the key to start it up, it gave one crank and everything died. I tried again and same thing. I briefly flicked on the headlights and they worked so I turned them off. Brake lights worked as well. So, I tried again. This time there was no crank. At this point I opened my door (idk why) and the car made the usual "door open" beeping noise. I tried to start it again. Nothing happened, but this time it started beeping at a really fast pace and the alarm light was blinking very fast as well. I tried again, and the same thing happened. I then left the car, came back, and the alarm/beeping was back to normal although my car wouldn't start. I attempted to jump it but to no avail. So now I'm getting it towed to my house tomorrow. Anybody have a clue as to what could be going on? I'm thinking a short somewhere? Please help!!

Old 03-28-2012, 11:05 PM
In the Staging Lanes

In the old days I would say your battery is fried. I wonder if these beeps you and I get are warnings that the battery is low from the alarm. Can you see if the battery has water. If not I would fill it and try to charge it. I`m sure you will get a more educated post soon.

Old 03-29-2012, 02:54 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

^^^ agree make sure the battery is charged. clean all the connections, battery cable ends and battery terminals with a wire brush. take the wires lose in the power junction box on the passenger side fenderwell. small red plastic box with a flip lid. theres a ground junction there to and if it looks like it needs it take the wires lose and wire brush the heck outa them too. maybe take the battery in and have it tested.

Old 03-29-2012, 08:16 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Next time leave the headlights on and then try to start the car. If the lights go out, you have a bad battery or a bad connection. If they stay lit, it's likely you may have a malfunction with the alarm.

Old 03-29-2012, 04:47 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Today I tried again and we were able to jump start it so I ended up not wasting money getting it towed . I don't know if the battery held the charge or not as I haven't been able to check yet. I did check out the water level, it's fine. I have no clue as to why the battery died because I left nothing on. Would a malfunction with the alarm prevent the car from starting?

Old 03-29-2012, 05:10 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

a dirty terminal or corroding cable end can cause a connection to fail intermittently. a dead battery can recharge to a point if left alone. have the battery and charging system tested. may be worth it to have the starter tested as well.

Old 03-29-2012, 07:19 PM
In the Staging Lanes

So the battery has held the charge, I was able to start again. I will be testing all these this weekend, hopefully I can figure this out. I've never had any trouble of this kind before