Camaro Coolant Leak????

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2017, 12:46 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by craby
well its sounding like the front cover is leaking, meaning the water pump and plastic elbows will need to be removed, it would be smart to replace both elbows and the water pump as the front cover gasket is replaced. again this is not to say it is your front cover as coolant could be running down unseen and dripping off the bolt by the oil pump/filter. not sure what pipe your talking about, you dont have a trans pan on a manual transmission so the only pan you have is the oil pan at the bottom of the engine. i dont recall a pipe for coolant in that area. if you have coolant coming from the rear of the engine i would look to the lower intake gasket failing or worse a head gasket. only other pipe i can think of is the pipes for the heater that go back to the firewall. back of engine compartment on the passenger side.

Sorry about the quality of the video! Iphone 5 camera lol.... well it looks like im gonna have to pay bank to get this all fixed.

And sorry for calling it a fuel filter! It is a oil filter* Sorry!

Last edited by Bboyphil; 04-07-2017 at 01:41 PM.
Old 04-07-2017, 12:59 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 95 camaro 406
check your water pumps too for leaks ,if its not one of your hoses then the water pump is leaking ,this guy that charged YOU $300.00 + to much to install the rad does not warranty his work,an you rad is for v6 not a lt1 the lt1 is a v8 engine ,yours is the 3800 like said 3.8L
Yes I am sorry for that, my camaro is V6 5 speed, I thought the rad was lt1... sorry about that. Yes the mechanic did screw me over jesus christ...

Old 04-07-2017, 01:30 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club
Old 04-07-2017, 03:11 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

coolant in back by the exhaust pipe could be the heater core. there is a drain hose/hole for the a/c core to drain its sweat that is formed when its in use. it also will drain coolant from it if the heater core is leaking. also could be the lower intake gasket leaking. again tracking the leak is a good idea.

Old 04-07-2017, 03:13 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

dont get under that car like that, get the floor jack under the k member and set up some safe jackstands or something that will not let the car drop. i have used blocks of wood before. dont want that car dropping on you for sure.

Old 04-07-2017, 03:15 PM
1st Gear Member

Nice video craby!! Thanks for the help

Old 04-07-2017, 03:17 PM
1st Gear Member

coolant in back by the exhaust pipe could be the heater core. there is a drain hose/hole for the a/c core to drain its sweat that is formed when its in use. it also will drain coolant from it if the heater core is leaking. also could be the lower intake gasket leaking. again tracking the leak is a good idea.
I think the bolt in the video is a different bolt that was in the video. Ahhh is it best if I take it to the mechanic... although that is my last option I just don't want to spend hundreds of dollars over and over again. Will track the leak tomorrow

Thanks!

Old 04-07-2017, 03:19 PM
1st Gear Member

dont get under that car like that, get the floor jack under the k member and set up some safe jackstands or something that will not let the car drop. i have used blocks of wood before. dont want that car dropping on you for sure.
Yeah I got so frustrated I decided to do it with just a stand by itself.
To get my jack under the K member I need to lift it a little because my body is so low I cant get my jack under the hood so I need to find blocks of wood first to get it jacked up and yeah I know it was risky doing that thing but I was frustrated at the time

Thanks!

Old 04-08-2017, 10:51 AM
1st Gear Member

I checked water pump and stuck my hand around and did not see any visual leaks although I did find something strange... I saw 2 pools of coolant in both left side and right side of the engine... maybe that might be the cause?

I tried to stick my phone in as far as I can get it to go but it is a tight fit... I barely have any coolant left now that the leak drained all of it... I guess ima have to spend another $40 on coolant..

I stuck my whole hand under the oil filter where the bolt was dripping coolant... and my hand got drenched in coolant it still did not help where the leak was coming from..

Even though there was a pool on both sides of the engine.. I could still not find the leak! ughh I really do not want to go to a mechanic

Last edited by Bboyphil; 04-08-2017 at 10:57 AM.
Old 04-08-2017, 10:52 AM
4th Gear Member

the heater cores its not easy ,but stick around hear you will learn alot ,an dont be sorry for things,your just learning your a good kid i am sure of that yup being that far back too is the carpet wet inside the car ?? ,looks like the heater core like crab man said if its right at those 2 hose hose it could be them leaking ,those go to the core under your clove box i am pretty sure i know on my v8 thats where it is ,it was not getting the old one out . it was getting the new one in , ebay 30 to $40 for a 3.8l

Last edited by 95 camaro 406; 04-08-2017 at 11:14 AM.

Quick Reply: Camaro Coolant Leak????