Camaro Coolant Leak????

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2017, 08:59 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Keep in mind this is not 100% until you actually see coolant coming from the intake. It is a big job. A good intake kit will come with new elbows but they will be the plastic ones. Intake kit is not big money just a lot of labor.

Note: this is a common problem, infact these cars fell under a class action law suit back in the early 2000, GM had to extend the warranty on intake gaskets and they had to reimburse anyone who had to pay to have the gasket done within that time period. That not going to help you because the last one fell out of warranty in like 2008. This is not a design issue as much as its a cheap gasket issue so once its done with a good gasket it will never be an issue again.

It also common for the coolant to leak into the oil, the coolant will have a milky color, there is a chemical reaction to the bearing and it will wipe out every bearing in the motor. So in one way consider yourself lucky. This intake failure wiping out the bearings is the number one reason for engine replacement in the 3800.

Last edited by Gorn; 04-09-2017 at 09:12 AM.
Old 04-09-2017, 09:40 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Gorn
Keep in mind this is not 100% until you actually see coolant coming from the intake. It is a big job. A good intake kit will come with new elbows but they will be the plastic ones. Intake kit is not big money just a lot of labor.

Note: this is a common problem, infact these cars fell under a class action law suit back in the early 2000, GM had to extend the warranty on intake gaskets and they had to reimburse anyone who had to pay to have the gasket done within that time period. That not going to help you because the last one fell out of warranty in like 2008. This is not a design issue as much as its a cheap gasket issue so once its done with a good gasket it will never be an issue again.

It also common for the coolant to leak into the oil, the coolant will have a milky color, there is a chemical reaction to the bearing and it will wipe out every bearing in the motor. So in one way consider yourself lucky. This intake failure wiping out the bearings is the number one reason for engine replacement in the 3800.
Wow that some scary stuff dang I guess I'm buying some ramps for around $50 so I can get a clearer picture of whats going on down there. Just to let you guys know again I did not find the leak I only saw 2 small puddles of coolant on both sides of the engine

Old 04-09-2017, 11:16 AM
4th Gear Member

best thing you can do with the $50.00 is have a reputable mechanic test it for you, tell him you think you may have a blown intake gasket ,an hope its not,like said there slow but couse all kinda of problems going on can couse it to be hard to figure out ,but they can tell you in 30 minutes or less ,then you need to deside if the car is worth spending $1200 or more to fix the car an do the intake an head gaskets ,what year is your car how many miles an the shape,nice thing is these cars in the right place can be found fairly cheap ,if the car is not worth more then the fix then think about another one ,if it is then fix it ,but this wont be a job for you ,not yet,finding a desent back yard mech is hard that does good work ,i have a friend helps me with the things i have not done before + it helps to have 3rd hand in there too,an learns alot more then you would hear even with hands on,most mechanics wont charge a dime just may hope you want them to do the work,if your not over heating much yet then try that

Last edited by 95 camaro 406; 04-09-2017 at 11:20 AM.
Old 04-09-2017, 11:22 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 95 camaro 406
best thing you can do with the $50.00 is have a reputable mechanic test it for you, tell him you think you may have a blown intake gasket ,an hope its not,like said there slow but couse all kinda of problems going on can couse it to be hard to figure out ,but they can tell you in 30 minutes or less ,then you need to deside if the car is worth spending $1200 or more to fix the car an do the intake an head gaskets ,what year is your car how many miles an the shape,nice thing is these cars in the right place can be found fairly cheap ,if the car is not worth more then the fix then think about another one ,if it is then fix it ,but this wont be a job for you ,not yet,finding a desent back yard mech is hard that does good work ,i have a friend helps me with the things i have not done before + it helps to have 3rd hand in there too,an learns alot more then you would hear even with hands on,most mechanics wont charge a dime just may hope you want them to do the work
You're right.. I'll try and see if I can cancel the ebay order and find a good mechanic around the area. I dropped the price on my camaro from 2500 to 1500 on my ad... just incase. And hopefully I would find a reputable mechanic that would do a check for a cheap price.. Thanks!

Old 04-09-2017, 11:33 AM
4th Gear Member

your selling it what year how many miles i have a 1999 with 96k going for around 3k,mabey $2500,00 i will take,for you it will depend on how good of shape the car is with blown intake an high miles ,you wont get $1500 even ????? unless its got low miles an very clean mabey mine with a blow intake is worth about $500,people dont want to put more then few hundered in a used car in most cases ,on these anyway tires brakes .but anything mechanical scarys people off was is driven in snow is it rusty

Last edited by 95 camaro 406; 04-09-2017 at 11:41 AM.
Old 04-09-2017, 11:38 AM
1st Gear Member

your selling it what year how many miles i have a 1999 with 96k going for around 3k,mabey $2500,00 i will take,for you it will depend on how good of shape the car is with blown intake an high miles ,you want get $1500 even ?????
Oh damn I didn't even know it goes for that low... I paid$3000 @ 137k miles +$3000 in repairs hoping to get at least half of what I paid for but I guess the market isn't doing to well on these. So I put it at $2500 as is but now I put it at $1500 on craigslist due to the leak. Has a lot of dings and small dents 2000 V6 142k miles 5 speed.... I don't know how much those go for

Old 04-09-2017, 11:46 AM
1st Gear Member

your selling it what year how many miles i have a 1999 with 96k going for around 3k,mabey $2500,00 i will take,for you it will depend on how good of shape the car is with blown intake an high miles ,you wont get $1500 even ????? unless its got low miles an very clean mabey mine with a blow intake is worth about $500,people dont want to put more then few hundered in a used car in most cases ,on these anyway tires brakes .but anything mechanical scarys people off was is driven in snow is it rusty
here are the car fax for it and my ad on craigslist is:
https://losangeles.craigslist.org/sf...997098223.html

Old 04-09-2017, 12:18 PM
4th Gear Member

you got way to much money in that car. take your loss,an find one with lower miles i seen them with 60k for 3k for a 2002 ,cars may go for more out there too but east coat west coast ,sometimes its worth travaling to find the right car ,i got my 1999 for for 2k with 87k miles with a passengers ding ,but a car that runs good i got about $700 in repairs an tires ,now time for another to babey it for 6 k you can find a nice one with low miles

Last edited by 95 camaro 406; 04-09-2017 at 12:22 PM.
Old 04-09-2017, 12:52 PM
1st Gear Member

you got way to much money in that car. take your loss,an find one with lower miles i seen them with 60k for 3k for a 2002 ,cars may go for more out there too but east coat west coast ,sometimes its worth travaling to find the right car ,i got my 1999 for for 2k with 87k miles with a passengers ding ,but a car that runs good i got about $700 in repairs an tires ,now time for another to babey it for 6 k you can find a nice one with low miles
Yeah I got screwed over with a lemon...

I guess Ima have to take it to the mechanic next week and see what kind of leaks I have

Old 04-09-2017, 01:49 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Gorn

Dang, I think Ima have to pay a street mechanic to check it out if I have any more leaks..

Quick Reply: Camaro Coolant Leak????