bent frame

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2011, 10:02 AM
Default bent frame

nevermind

Last edited by DarkFox; 12-01-2011 at 12:13 PM.
Old 03-08-2011, 10:57 AM
2nd Gear member

Camaro's do not have frames. They are unibody cars and the "frame" is built into the overall body/chassis design.

It is not uncommon for Carfax to report damage that doesn't go into any detail. That is not the function of Carfax. It can only report the information that is reported to it via the insurance companies. Also, if a person has an accident and it is not reported to the insurance company, and they fix it out of pocket, it won't show up in a Carfax report.

The wheels could have been significantly damaged and replaced. There are a lot of these cars out there, and the stock wheels are readily available at any number of wrecking yards. Supposed that the previous owner wiped the rear end into a solid pole or curb and smacked the rear wheel hard enough to bend the wheel and dent the 1/4 panel. That much force could have easily bent the rear end mounting points on the unibody.

A really good alignment shop will be able to put the car up on a lift and do a thorough inspection of the entire chassis and tell you what is out of whack and how much. Some of the alignment issues may be able to be adjusted within factory specs, and some may simply be part of the botched repair from the accident.

Either way, I believe you learned a valuable lesson that when Carfax reports damage, always assume that it is the worst possible without it being totalled. Make that assumption and you will have a better feel for what you are getting into. For my money, I just walk away when Carfax reports damage of any kind. It makes it harder to locate the car I want, but it is better for my peace of mind in the long run.

Old 03-08-2011, 11:10 AM
Tech Droid

The car is of unibody construction, and as such does not have a full frame. There is a front subframe that can be replaced if bent, but all rear suspension pieces are attached directlty to the rear floor panel assembly. If the rear seems tweaked it coluld be due to a bent suspension part, or to the unibody itself being bent.
A good body/chassis shop can take measurements, compare them to the FSM specs, and determine if things got twisted up.

Old 03-08-2011, 05:06 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

get the front aligned and go from there. really unusual tire wear.

Old 03-08-2011, 06:10 PM
2nd Gear member

ha how high of speeds does the steering wheel shake? ill tell ya what, my civic drives straight as an arrow, but once i hit 100+mph there goes my wheel!!! shakes left and right... that is normal of stock suspension cars

plus if you get the camaro on a lift and you get under it you should be able to tell by straight up looking at it closely if their is any damage to the unitized body

Old 03-08-2011, 07:34 PM
Overdrive Member

With a unibody car anytime you need to have a qtr panel replaced it is considered "frame damage" due to the nature of the car's construction. As for the funny feeling when cornering it could easily attributed to an alignment issue or worn bushings. Considering your car used to live down a dirt road I would say your suspension may be a little worn out. No biggy here but you should not replace the bushings in all locations with poly since the suspension uses binding as a part of it's normal function. The rear links and panhard bar are also weak links in the design of this car. They can flex and deform as you corner giving the car an odd feeling. BMR and UMI make some really good suspension components for a reasonable price. I would not worry about the CARFAX too much, the reports are vague.

Massey