General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Bent axle?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2006, 07:51 AM
Default Bent axle?

My friend has a 1994 auto Camaro with the 350 motor. I think its a Z28. She was side wiped a while ago (rear drivers side) messed up the rear quarter panel and bent/broke the rim. She has a new rim on but when the brake is applied it feels like the rear end is going to shake off the car. When you cruise around the disc touches the pad and makes a squeeking noise (brakes not used) with each rotation.
My questions are do you think its a bent axle (the Camaros axle that is), and which axles fit in the rear of this beast. I'm trying to find all the part my this week end.
Yesterday was the first time I drove a car with a 350ci motor. I'm in love, sounds like sex and has MASSIVE BBAALLLLSS (compared to my stock 3.8L 232ci mustang motor), even for 194,000 miles. Maybe she'll trade me cars
Thanks

Old 09-19-2006, 09:41 AM
4th Gear Member
Default RE: Bent axle?

You are going to have a problem finding a single axle shaft at a salvage yard, reason it breaks up the complete rear axle assembly which is sold as one item. But since rear axle assemblies for 4th gen cars are in large supply, just buy the whole item. Any 10-bolt rear axle shaft will fit.

Old 09-19-2006, 02:56 PM
Tech Droid

Get the entire assembly, if the axle got bent, most likely the axle housing is sprung and never work properly.

Old 09-20-2006, 01:11 AM
Overdrive Member

Im sorry but I gotta
HAHAHAHA Your girlfriend has bigger ***** than you HAHAHAHA
Im sorry I had to do it.

Old 09-20-2006, 06:38 AM

She is my GF's brothers GF. Shes is a stripper, hes a DJ. She is F'in HOTTT, even for having bigger ***** then me. This weekend I'm going to jack up her rear end, pop into[sm=drooldude.gif] her, I mean, pop her into drive and see what happens. I'll take the wheels off and have a look at everything as it idles in drive. Taking the wheels off before I start the car, duh. Hopefully its only the axle shaft but if it the whole rear end this will be the second rear end I'll be replacing in a month. I snapped one of my Mustangs shafts a week ago, found a full rear end (brakes and all) for $350. I installed it in under 3 hrs. That was my first time too.

Old 09-20-2006, 02:30 PM
3rd Gear Member

Ditto z28Pete. A Rear end from a '93-'02 Z28, Trans Am or Formula Firebird will bolt in.

Old 09-20-2006, 06:00 PM

Great. Are the gear ratios the same for thoughs years? Whats the gear ratio for the '94 Z28 auto, and are all thoughs years rear end widths the same, flange to flange. Thanks

Old 09-25-2006, 03:04 AM

Are the gears the same on thoughs cars?

I had a look at the rear end today. I didn't open the diff yet though. The mount for the pan-hard bar on the drivers side of the car was moved to the passenger side about 1/2", probablt from the colission. I drove the car and is gets up to speed (and roasts the tires) just fine but only in braking is there any notice of bad things. As I was cruising at ~45mph I opened the door and had a look at the rim (WTF), it wobbles pretty badly, though you can't feel it in the car. There is no oil getting pased the oil seal on the drivers side, but there is LOTS of oil on the underside of the car near the axle-to-pinion connection, maybe and bad pinion oil seal? I opened the fill plug for the rear diff and was able to get about 1/2 qt of gear fluid in before it came out the hole.

So I guess it wouldn't be a bad idea to find another rear end in good condition. My only concern is gearing of a used rear end. I forgot to look at the tab on the diff cover to see what gears are in there, but could someone show me the light on which rear ends have the same gears?

Thanks

Old 09-25-2006, 04:16 AM
Overdrive Member

You'll have to look at the option codes or call a dealer with the vin to find the ratio. Or look at the gears themselves.
If that car got hit hard then take a good look at the control arms also.
If the wheel is bent through the spare on or swap sides and watch the wheel. You might just have a bent wheel.

Old 09-25-2006, 04:36 AM

Its got a new stock (not bent) rim on at the moment. I am 100% sure the axle is bent. I'm going to look for a replacement axle shaft. If I can't find one (or a pair) I'll try to find a whole rear diff, after I have a look at what gears are in it.

I'll have a look at the code and/or vin. Thanks

I hit a curb a few months back in my little stang and bent an axle, I found GT axles for $50 shipped on Ebay. Swapped out the bent axle and the new one ran fine. Till I drifted into another curb, alot faster then the first time. Broke the axle in half and bent the crap out of the bearing seats and brake caliper mount. Won't do that again. Found a stock used rear end (disc to disc) for $350 for the stang. Installed the LSD into the new rear-end and it was back on the road. Mustang axles are known for being easy to break, but I guess thats a good thing for my T-lock unit. Can still roats the tires with no issues. Well the lack of power, that alittle clutch dump/kick (Ram performance clutch) cures.

Quick Reply: Bent axle?