97 z28 vs. 99 cobra?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2007, 01:05 PM
4th Gear Member
Default RE: 97 z28 vs. 99 cobra?

hey specter... when u get ur new mustang, hook me up with ur T/A lol.

Old 10-10-2007, 01:51 PM
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ninetysixyenko

i don't know that much bout car's, but i know enough.. 425 seems kinda high, regardless who's numbers they are, 400 would seem fair though.

i do know that my dad's one friend has a 97LT1 with borla exhaust, and CAI, and that's it, and he claims it dyno'ed at 250RWHP, which is about 295 at the crank? bout average for what he's done, my dad's other friend has a 99or 00LS1 with Corsa exhaust, and the Ram air hood, he's also upgraded FI's, and has perf clutch on it, no tune either tho. he claims he layed down bout 305RWHP, which is bout 355 crank? Now my dad has a 99 LS1 Vette, with Ram air, Corsa Exhaust, Fabricated X-pipe, upgraded FI, new thermo, chipped and tuned. guy he bought it off claims it does 365 on dyno, which is pushing410-425 crank? now i know someone through my mom's old place of work, has a 2002 35th anniversery Camaro, with exhaust(dont know what), cut out's to run off headers, header's(dont know what), and he has a procharger, and upgraded pulley to do 12PSI. and other unknown mods(not much tho, said couple other small mods) and he claims he hits 425RWHP on dyno, bout 520 crank?

anyway, point is... buy a real car: 3.8!!!![8D]
Ha! Your funny!! I read an article in a Chevy mag and they tore down an LT1 from a 94 Z and and put on a LT4 kit from Pace Performance but since they were going to run a Procharger they swapped the LT4 hot cam with one from crane cams because the LT4 cam wasn't set up for use with a SC. They changed all of the injectors (43lbs I think) and throttlebody. It was a 383 block and after everything was said and done they claimed that they would be able to make 500hp WITHOUT the supercharger. They didn't show any dyno # so I don't know how true that is.

Old 10-10-2007, 02:12 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: LT1RUNNER

i don't know that much bout car's, but i know enough.. 425 seems kinda high, regardless who's numbers they are, 400 would seem fair though.

i do know that my dad's one friend has a 97LT1 with borla exhaust, and CAI, and that's it, and he claims it dyno'ed at 250RWHP, which is about 295 at the crank? bout average for what he's done, my dad's other friend has a 99or 00LS1 with Corsa exhaust, and the Ram air hood, he's also upgraded FI's, and has perf clutch on it, no tune either tho. he claims he layed down bout 305RWHP, which is bout 355 crank? Now my dad has a 99 LS1 Vette, with Ram air, Corsa Exhaust, Fabricated X-pipe, upgraded FI, new thermo, chipped and tuned. guy he bought it off claims it does 365 on dyno, which is pushing410-425 crank? now i know someone through my mom's old place of work, has a 2002 35th anniversery Camaro, with exhaust(dont know what), cut out's to run off headers, header's(dont know what), and he has a procharger, and upgraded pulley to do 12PSI. and other unknown mods(not much tho, said couple other small mods) and he claims he hits 425RWHP on dyno, bout 520 crank?

Ha! Your funny!! I read an article in a Chevy mag and they tore down an LT1 from a 94 Z and and put on a LT4 kit from Pace Performance but since they were going to run a Procharger they swapped the LT4 hot cam with one from crane cams because the LT4 cam wasn't set up for use with a SC. They changed all of the injectors (43lbs I think) and throttlebody. It was a 383 block and after everything was said and done they claimed that they would be able to make 500hp WITHOUT the supercharger. They didn't show any dyno # so I don't know how true that is.
It doesn't suprise me in the least that it would be capable of making 500 hp without a supercharger. It's not only a cam and additional parts that make a difference, but the machining and the quality of the machining.

The LT4 setup works pretty well with forced induction. It's a good all-around cam. It's not the biggest or the baddest, but it is very efficient.

While he's saying that 400 hp would be pushing it (which I disagree with), let's give him the benefit of the doubt. It doesn't change the fact that those figures are without any type of machine work, or any heads/intake aside from the LT4 heads/intake. What about with a non-GM set of heads? What about with a better ignition, larger throttle body, long-tube headers, cold air intake, etc.? GM tested the LT4 setup WITHOUT aftermarket parts.

People are claiming that you will only make about 300 rwhp with an LT4 setup, and I've even read as stupid remarks as that the entire kit is only worth 30 crank hp. Well, I challenge anyone here putting down 300 whp to a run. Prove that an LT4 Hot Cam setup is only worth 300 whp. If that's the case, it should be a close run, don't ya think?

Old 10-10-2007, 02:21 PM
1st Gear Member

So, here we have it. Again, LS1 owners claim 300 rwhp. I've never seen one claim less (probably because they've never dynoed and figure since one car did it, theirs does, too). So, that's saying that withan exhaust, and upgraded fuel injectors, he picked up a whopping 5 whp. So, is this another one of these miracle used-to-be-stock LS1s that dynos 300 rwhp, that I'm yet to see?

Then, we have the LS1 Corvette that has an exhaust, upgraded fuel injectors, and a tune which does 365 rwhp, according to a previous owner. A 65 whp gain from an exhaust with a custom x-pipe, a tune, and fuel injectors picks up 60 whp? It doesn't quite add up.

Old 10-10-2007, 04:08 PM
4th Gear Member

well, i have read of, and seen vid's of 383 stroker LT's keeping up with Procharged LS's. i do gotta agree with rated there, the LS1 is hyped up to much, and LT isnt hyped up enough, but the LS is a stronger engine, stock anyway, but i do beleave the fastest street legal quarter mile, v8 is a LS1 isnt it?

we THINK my dad's vette has a cam in it, it sounds it, you can count the beats standing back aways, counting fast, but still can. he's gonna have someone tear it down over winter, and if it isn't camm'ed he's gonna put on in it. the LS1 vette engine, isn't exactly the same as the LS1 camaro engine, it already comes with few light mod's to create a lil extra horse over the camaro doesnt it?

Old 10-10-2007, 04:34 PM
1st Gear Member

well, i have read of, and seen vid's of 383 stroker LT's keeping up with Procharged LS's. i do gotta agree with rated there, the LS1 is hyped up to much, and LT isnt hyped up enough, but the LS is a stronger engine, stock anyway, but i do beleave the fastest street legal quarter mile, v8 is a LS1 isnt it?

we THINK my dad's vette has a cam in it, it sounds it, you can count the beats standing back aways, counting fast, but still can. he's gonna have someone tear it down over winter, and if it isn't camm'ed he's gonna put on in it. the LS1 vette engine, isn't exactly the same as the LS1 camaro engine, it already comes with few light mod's to create a lil extra horse over the camaro doesnt it?
NO! IMPOSSIBLE! WE ALL KNOW THAT THE LS1 WAS HAND-BUILT BY G0D, AND AN LT1 WILL NEVER BEAT ONE! IF AN LS1 LOSES TO AN LT1, THERE MUST BE SOMETHING WRONG WITH IT!

I'm not sure what the fastest street legal 4th Gen F-Body has in it, but I know I just watched a video of an LS1 in the high 7s, I believe, on a stock suspension. That's pretty badass.

Keep in mind that it's not that the LS1 is hyped up, butthey'rethe nut-huggers thatwere sorely misinformedwhenthey read thatit's the greatest engine ever. Just wait until the 5th Gen cars come out, and then the same LS1 nut-huggers will be the same ones bashing the LS1 and hugging on to the LS-whatever.

Old 10-10-2007, 04:42 PM

You feel like choking me....hmmm, now thats funny i already said i was just jokin around but now that you want to choke me i see that you must be a little man with little man big world issues. Face it the world is to big for you i guess this is why your at home on the computer all day instead of drivin that car, how about selling it and buyin a toy model to play with becuase a boy like you needs to stay inside where momma can keep her eye on you.

Old 10-10-2007, 04:54 PM

Hey rated Z don't pay no mind to Sputum i mean Specter he is just one of those guys who has no life, he won't even get out in the real world and drive that car he has but i guess when you can't handle the power it's better to leave it parked, i know this becuase he coudn't even handle the mustang he had since he wrecked it the last time he had it out. OH YEAH HEY SPUTUM BEFORE YOU GO AROUND SAYIN YOUR GOIN TO CHOKE SOME ONE MAKE SURE HE'S NOT A BAD **** LIKE ME UNLESS YOUR REALLY THAT STUPID THEN GIVE ME YOUR ADDRESS AND WILL I SEE IF YOUR JUST TALK OR ACTUALLY WALK THE WALK, WELL I MEAN I KNOW YOU WALK THATS BEACUASE YOU DON'T KNOW HOW TO DRIVE BUT YOU KNOW WHAT I MENT!

Old 10-10-2007, 04:55 PM
4th Gear Member

there's spose to be a LS1, LS2, and LS3(Sc'ed) i think. fastest ive seen is.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t65VypaaRJU

while im posting vids...
Beloved WRX and RZ7 taken down... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Sn6SL6EajE

and
whicked good launches.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6e7m8oX-8Q

and
LT fastest than yamabusa.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gL8mpGhosxY

Old 10-10-2007, 04:58 PM

SORRY GUYS HERE AT THE FORUM I'M REALLY A NICE GUY I'VE SHOWN THAT TO PEOPLE WHO TALK TO ME WITH RESPECT AND KINDNESS BUT THIS GUY IS THE ONLY ONE HERE WHO SEEMS TO TRY AND START STUFF WITH ME SO I JUST WANTED TO SEE HOW HE WOULD RESPOND, BUT NOW I WILL PROBABLY GET A PHONE CALL FROM HIS MOMMA.

Quick Reply: 97 z28 vs. 99 cobra?