97 z28 vs. 99 cobra?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2007, 04:09 PM
Default RE: 97 z28 vs. 99 cobra?

Ok cool thanks for the info, i got a 1996 Z28SS i just recently hit a deer in it so needed to replace it i thought there wasen't much difference in them except for the fog lights maybe, thanks again my f-body brother.....lol

Old 10-07-2007, 04:18 PM
4th Gear Member

i thought 97 was first year SS was re introduced, and 96 was first year RS was re introduced.

Old 10-07-2007, 09:27 PM

nope in 96 SLP took some of the Z28 and turned them into the SS with the SS hood Different spoiler and exhaust, and suspension and other stuff

Old 10-09-2007, 11:16 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: cbr600rx7

32 valve cobra comes off the line with about 35 more horses than the Z stock. The mustang's gears are going to give it more of a edge then with the help of the intake and exhaust the mustang is going to be hard to take. It might be closser if the Z had gears or a large cam but if its only a hot cam or something like that its going to be hard to win. Traction could become a facter as well.
A stock 275 hp LT1 will run just as fast as a 1998 Cobra that is rated at 305 hp. As for the 1999 Cobras, they were recalled for "the fix" because they didn't make anywhere near their 305 hp rating.

But, what's really funny about your post is that you think that it's going to be hard to win because "it's only a Hot Cam." I'm sure with blanket statements like the above, you've read about how great CC306s are, and this and that, when in fact these large cams are useless without supporting mods, which most people don't have.

An LT4 Hot Cam kit, complete with the LT4 heads/intake, will net 425 hp, according to GM,which is 150 hp over stock, and it will STILL net 20 mpg. These ratings are also considered without machine work.

Sorry, it's going to take that Mustanga little bit more than 4.10 gears, a fancy transmission, cold air intake, and exhaustto touch his car.

Old 10-09-2007, 04:18 PM
Ninja Administrator

ORIGINAL: RatedZ

32 valve cobra comes off the line with about 35 more horses than the Z stock. The mustang's gears are going to give it more of a edge then with the help of the intake and exhaust the mustang is going to be hard to take. It might be closser if the Z had gears or a large cam but if its only a hot cam or something like that its going to be hard to win. Traction could become a facter as well.
A stock 275 hp LT1 will run just as fast as a 1998 Cobra that is rated at 305 hp. As for the 1999 Cobras, they were recalled for "the fix" because they didn't make anywhere near their 305 hp rating.

But, what's really funny about your post is that you think that it's going to be hard to win because "it's only a Hot Cam." I'm sure with blanket statements like the above, you've read about how great CC306s are, and this and that, when in fact these large cams are useless without supporting mods, which most people don't have.

An LT4 Hot Cam kit, complete with the LT4 heads/intake, will net 425 hp, according to GM,which is 150 hp over stock, and it will STILL net 20 mpg. These ratings are also considered without machine work.

Sorry, it's going to take that Mustanga little bit more than 4.10 gears, a fancy transmission, cold air intake, and exhaustto touch his car.
my buddy has the complete lt4 conversion along with full boltons on his 97 ws.6. He put down 290 rwhp. the hot cams are just too small to make big power.Not sure where u got ur numbers either, because the 96 vette grandsport came with an lt4 and it was only rated at 330hp and 340 ft lbs. GM never rated these parts at 425.... http://www.grandsportregistry.com/lt1vslt4.htm
here is also a dyno from someone claiming to have a stock lt4 from the gs registry

as for the mustangs, the 98s arent that fast, they suffer from a goofy power band. some of the early 99's had to get this fix u were talking about which was basically a reflash. This is because they didnt make the 320 they advertised. "Fixed" cobras were every bit as fast as they claimed, and the 4v motors respond well to mods.

Old 10-09-2007, 04:23 PM
Ninja Administrator

ORIGINAL: diddy

Ok well you better thank god for that ice storm becuase your in a way better car now, and so i've just got started on this site big deal, does that mean i can'tmesswith the ford freaks, I think not, camaro and mustang owners will always be a rivalry, thats just the way it is, and if there is any mustang owners out there thats wants to try and shut me up come get some, me and my SS are always hungry for some stang.
i kinda feel like choking the life out of you after a comment like that. I almost died, couldnt use the right side of my body for about a week, and had dexterity issues with that hand (my dominant) for several months which almost made me change my entire life path. No sense in studying so hard for med school if u cant use your hands
http://www.mustangforums.com/m_2239114/tm.htm

try to use a little tact around here bud. Nothing is more irritating than johnny 2 posts coming in ready to rumble and stirring something up. I mean, we arent a honda forum here [8D]

Old 10-09-2007, 09:03 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: SpecterGT260

my buddy has the complete lt4 conversion along with full boltons on his 97 ws.6. He put down 290 rwhp. the hot cams are just too small to make big power.Not sure where u got ur numbers either, because the 96 vette grandsport came with an lt4 and it was only rated at 330hp and 340 ft lbs. GM never rated these parts at 425.... http://www.grandsportregistry.com/lt1vslt4.htm
here is also a dyno from someone claiming to have a stock lt4 from the gs registry

as for the mustangs, the 98s arent that fast, they suffer from a goofy power band. some of the early 99's had to get this fix u were talking about which was basically a reflash. This is because they didnt make the 320 they advertised. "Fixed" cobras were every bit as fast as they claimed, and the 4v motors respond well to mods.
Once again you post without reading, hence the reason I refer to you as the circus monkey. Let's try again.

The LT4 Vette doesn't come with an LT4 "Hot Cam." It's a standard LT4 cam. Upgrade to a basic LT4 cam in an LT1 and you'll pick up about 10 hp if you're lucky. The LT4 "Hot Cam" is totally different from the cam found in the LT4 engine. Comprende? You wanna try reading my original post again?

As for your buddy's 290 rwhp car, it sure sucks to be him. An LT4 Hot Cam kit WITHOUT the LT4 heads/intake will net over 320 rwhp.

Ah, and one other thing. You may wanna take your own advice and try using a little tact, bud. We're not a Honda forum.

Old 10-09-2007, 10:38 PM

I vote just wreck him

Old 10-09-2007, 10:51 PM
Ninja Administrator

Once again you post without reading, hence the reason I refer to you as the circus monkey. Let's try again.

The LT4 Vette doesn't come with an LT4 "Hot Cam." It's a standard LT4 cam. Upgrade to a basic LT4 cam in an LT1 and you'll pick up about 10 hp if you're lucky. The LT4 "Hot Cam" is totally different from the cam found in the LT4 engine. Comprende? You wanna try reading my original post again?

As for your buddy's 290 rwhp car, it sure sucks to be him. An LT4 Hot Cam kit WITHOUT the LT4 heads/intake will net over 320 rwhp.

Ah, and one other thing. You may wanna take your own advice and try using a little tact, bud. We're not a Honda forum.
why do u insist on taking personal shots when I do nothing but discuss the cars? the dyno sheet i posted was of an lt4 car putting down 294. this is normal. you claim 150hp increase over the lt1 with the lt4hotcam and head/intake. but the lt4 cam +head/intake is 330bhp. so you are gaining 120hp out of just the cam [&:]. I guess... because 320rwhp is a 90 hp gain over the average lt1 dyno.

ur right though, i didnt catch the "hotcam" part and was assuming we were talking only about the basic lt4 conversion. ur numbers are still off. I guess that makes me a monkey and in no way makes you an angry little man . u dont call me a circus monkey for my interpretations. you call me that when i call you out and u dont know what to say. So go ahead and say it again. Ill be dancing in the mean time. anyone seen my cymbals?

Old 10-09-2007, 10:53 PM
2nd Gear member

ringside seats, anyone want some popcorn? shows about to start

Quick Reply: 97 z28 vs. 99 cobra?