95z replaced water pump and optispark

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2008, 06:36 PM
4th Gear Member
Default 95z replaced water pump and optispark

I replaced the water pump and optispark (complete unit) both brand new oem units as well as new wires and plugs. (OK OK, so i only did 1,3,5,7 and will pay someone with a lift to replace 2,4,6,8). Anyway, car fired up, ran much smoother and the hestiaton that occured at around 1500 rpm was gone. I also added a CAI

Also, the temp now sits nailed at 180 + - (replaced thermostat as well) but after about 8-10 minutes, it's as if the car runs rich. it will rev, then stumble, then almost die

All connectors are on. What occurs with these LT1 engines once they hit operating temp that differs from when they first fire up? it purrs at first. Do i need to bring it somewhere to have the A/F ratio changed? is there a cold vs warm setting within the computer that needs to be set?

As always, thanks in advance and man are the even number plugs a bear to try to get to.

Update: since i replaced the water pump, do you think it might be the engine coolant temp sensor? Again, the problem occurs once the engie reaches operating temp. The prior owner ran with no thermostat so the engine never really came close to 180 degrees.

Suggestions please?

Old 12-14-2008, 09:07 PM
Overdrive Member
Default RE: 95z replaced water pump and optispark

Once it warms up, it will go to "closed loop", and use the O2 sensors to adjust the fuel trims. That would be the big difference between when it is cold and when it is warm.

Old 12-15-2008, 07:45 AM
4th Gear Member
Default RE: 95z replaced water pump and optispark

OK, if anyone has an animated gif of slapping someone feel free to use it on me. Sure, I thought the waterpump would look good painted orange. Yes, I taped over the sensor (OK, i painted the thing with the sensor screwed in I'm a dummy). Simply disconnecting and reconnecting the temp sensor connector on the waterpump a few times and what do you know............the car works fine now.

I guess despite being taped, a little bit of paint must have gotten in.

Hey, look at it this way, I'm learning about the LT1.

Next up, the magnaflow, then off to a garage to pay someone to replace plugs 2,4,6,8 and to adjust the idle and the A/F ratio as well as when the fans kick on. ( on my stang i have them kick on sooner than stock settings)