82-92 V8 Tech V8 Camaro General Topics.

Power steering pump replaced ... now water under the dash .. HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2010, 06:21 PM
Question Power steering pump replaced ... now water under the dash .. HELP!

After a few weeks of having my '84 Z28 sit in the driveway collecting dust because of a shot power steering pump, I finally got it fixed today.

So I went about 30min later (after a test drive that showed no problems with the reman power steering pump) I went and picked up my kid from school.

Stopped for a few minutes to get Subway for dinner drove straight home (about 4 miles in minimum afternoon traffic). When we came out there was some condensation on the windshield. I didnt think anything of it.

On the way home I noticed a hot humid feel and 'smell' that made me think of antifreeze.

Pulled in the driveway and popped the hood .... thats when I saw water in the floorboard. A little on the driver side but on the passenger side it had REALLY puddled up.

The BAD thing I guess is that the temp gauge doesn't work at all. I know it's pretty bad on my end no to get this fixed sooner but it just hasn't been a big priority and the car has been running fine for well over a year that I've had it.

Any idea what this could be or how to fix it?

Thank you for taking the time to read the thread and for any replies.

Old 09-09-2010, 07:46 PM
March 2011 ROTM
Technical User
ROTM Winner's Club

its going to be the heater core if its on the floor. you can simply disconnect the heater hoses running to it to be able to at least drive the car, you just wont have any heat. as for how hard it is to remove, im not sure

Old 09-09-2010, 08:13 PM

The two hoses running to the firewall right? Just nipple them together until I get around to replacing the core?

(The good thing is it never really gets cold here in Charleston .. lol)

Thanks for the reply!

Old 09-09-2010, 08:48 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

If you never need heat in the car, then I would just loop the hoses together and call it done. You can even shorten the hoses so they're closer to the in-out sources. Or cork them off altogether at the water pump and intake manifold using plumbing plugs. It's one less thing to worry about fixing. Mine is a summer car only, and I completely removed the disconnected heater core.

Old 09-10-2010, 08:01 PM
March 2011 ROTM
Technical User
ROTM Winner's Club

yea, you could make something to connect them together at the core, or just take the one hose off and send the other hose to its location

Old 09-10-2010, 11:41 PM
August 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Or just do it right and replace the heater core. It's readily available at any parts store, usually in stock for around $30 dollars. It's very easy to replace on an 84 as well, no more than an hour job. Even if it doesn't get very cold, you'll miss your heat. I went through September last year without mine, and when the windows are fogged up there's not much you can do. I procrastinated thinking the heater core was a major job requiring dash removal, when actually it's very doable in under an hour without removing the dash.

Last edited by Jr. Mechanic; 09-10-2010 at 11:44 PM.
Old 09-12-2010, 11:56 AM

Really?

Because everything I've read says this is a 3-hour job and everyone I've talked to (including a guy that did it on an '83 Camaro) agrees with that estimate.

I've already found out I can get the core for like under $20 .... and based on last night's trip to the poker tournament .. lol .. I agree with you on the fogged windows.

Can you give me a little more detail on what would be involved in the repair? I mean as far as getting it out from under the dash and the new one put in place.

Thank you all for all your help so far.

Old 09-12-2010, 09:34 PM
August 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by bulldogrsp61
Really?

Because everything I've read says this is a 3-hour job and everyone I've talked to (including a guy that did it on an '83 Camaro) agrees with that estimate.

I've already found out I can get the core for like under $20 .... and based on last night's trip to the poker tournament .. lol .. I agree with you on the fogged windows.

Can you give me a little more detail on what would be involved in the repair? I mean as far as getting it out from under the dash and the new one put in place.

Thank you all for all your help so far.
The Haynes and Chilton manual calls for removing the entire dash, so most people do it this way. I did the heater core in my 83 Z28 last fall in under an hour. From memory, here's what you have to do:

Push the passenger seat as far back as it goes. Some people take it out and save their back a little pain, but I didn't find it necessary.

Remove the two hoses and cap off the tubes of the old heater core.

Remove the kick panel and the lower dash panel and you'll see the inner heater box that needs to be taken out. I believe there are four, 7mm screws that need to be removed. Two on the bottom, one on the top right, and one in the top middle. The bottom two and top right are pretty easy to get to, but the very top one is a little tricky. I found it easier to remove the dash pad and right side speaker to reach my other hand down and guide the ratchet onto the screw.

Once you have the screws out, the box can be gently worked out from under the dash. Be careful as 27 year old plastic can be brittle, especially where it butts up to the rest of the HVAC ducting.

Shine a flash light into the heater box and you'll see the heater core. It's secured in with two 7mm screws I believe. It's pretty self explanatory how to get the heater core out from here.

Transfer the new heater core into the heater core brackets and work the tubes back through the fire wall. Be careful not to bend them too much.

Secure the heater core back in and reinstall the box, dash, and hoses.

You'll need a combination of a deep well and short 7mm socket, 1/4" drive extension, 1/4" ratchet, and a couple screw drivers to get the job done.