82-92 V8 Tech V8 Camaro General Topics.

TWO different heads on a 350?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2011, 03:01 PM
In the Staging Lanes

I would go with ANY heads that will work for me..lol. Only reason he said those is because he knows I am on a budget. He hates them himself..just said that they are better than what I have here. That's all. I would love to just buy some good heads that are already done and bolt them on..tryin to save cash anyway i can! Thing is, so is everyone else..so not too many parts are avalible in my area that are worth a damn.

Old 03-10-2011, 03:35 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Don't go with the cheap Chinese heads. It's not flow capabilities or performance that's the issue, it's the thinner castings in critical areas that you want to be concerned about.
Even these Edelbrock heads would be better quality than the China heads, and definitely better performing than your iron heads. What's your budget...besides "cheap"? http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Edelb...Q5fAccessories

Old 03-10-2011, 08:01 PM
March 2011 ROTM
Technical User
ROTM Winner's Club

it sounds to me like you need a new machinist. get rid of a quality set of heads for new, junk heads? he must know someone that wants your heads badly for a restoration project. tell him thank you and move to another.

Old 03-10-2011, 08:11 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Really? That bad? He says they are good heads. Just old..and not worth building back to new. Says to rebuild them would run about $600 or so...that's guides, and everything. He does a duel plane grind job on the intake at two different angles to ensure a good seal. And does a hell of a job on the decking of the head itself...guy seems legit and even said i should sell the heads on here, or on ebay or something. But to be honest, i don't even know how much they are worth, or where the hell to sell them!

Not to mention the way you guys are starting to make this sound I should get my motor back asap and go elsewhere..I have him cleaning it. He is also gonna sheck the bore to make sure its good and round. not messed up at all..and all of that is gonna run me $200 or so..Figured it was worth it to know I had a GOOD block. He even agreed though, it was a good block to begin with..seems to have a almost new .30 bore. Can still see some of the cross thaching or whatever its called. But to be sure, he wanted me to let him check it and clean it up. What do you guys think?

Old 03-13-2011, 10:09 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Bump...

Old 03-14-2011, 08:00 PM
March 2011 ROTM
Technical User
ROTM Winner's Club

i had a set of heads completely rebuilt for my dd. one was warped, one was cracked and had to be replaced. the cost of replacing that with a reman, plus everything else, was $700. now that included a top end gasket set, 6 feet of heater hose, both heads being pressure tested and then magnafluxed, new hardened valve seats and new valves installed to the reused head (they were trashed), as well as 3 gallons of coolant and a few tools, a header flange being ground smooth, and i cant remember what else. i say take it back from him and go elsewhere. i got my work done at a local NAPA shop