82-92 V8 Tech V8 Camaro General Topics.

New third gen. owner looking for advice

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2008, 01:39 PM
Default New third gen. owner looking for advice

I am an old dude who always wanted a Z28 and I finally bought one on ebay. Paid a whole $1500.I copied the ebay auction description below. My plans are to fix up and use the car for fun and to take to local car shows. I drove it home 130 mileswith no problems. The engine seems strong and sounds incredible. I will post some pics as soon as possible.There was some whining from drive train when decelerating. I am not a strong mechanic so I dropped the car off at my friends auto shop for his mechanics to evaluate. I will do the interior work myself and prep for paint. I may even try the paint job myself. I have a compressor but will need a spray gun. It is rust and bondo free. Anyone out there ever try to paint their own? Bad idea or worth a try?

It has a fiberglass cowl hood on it, pin down/lift off. The hood looks great,however it gets air under it and flaps and bangs against the car in a very exciting but unacceptable manner. What kind of replacement should I look for? Where would be a good place to look? How much will I have to pay? I like the look of the cowl hood and hope to find something similar that will not flop around.

I found a couple other z 28's in my area (Toledo, OH) that are candidates for aparts car. The best looking one is a 1985 and I am wondering what parts on the 85 will interchange with my 82. The other one is an 82. How can I find out what year will fit my car?

Any advice or references to get me started out right on my adventure will be appreciated. Below is the description of my car copied from the ebay auction:

Just in time for the New Year! Up for Bid is a 1982 Chevy Camaro Z28.

This car has a 3 speed automatic. The engineisrebuilt with a '68/327 Corvette Engine with only 2000 miles on it, 11.1 Piston with a 488Lift.

The transmission has been rebuilt. Transmission has a 2800 converterB &M shift kit. There are new rims and tires on it purchased in March of 07.

This car starts, runs and drives very good.Took to car showsthisSummer.This Camaro has had alot of work put into it.It's bored 30 over. It has blue print balance crank shaft and rods. The heads have double valve springs and 488 Cam lift. Edlebrock intake and carburator with headers. The car does not have any rust or bondo. The body is not in bad shape but could use a fresh coat of paint. Fiberglass hood. Interior could use a little work as well. The car is very dependable, not to mention LOADED with power! The heater needs to be hooked up and there are no wipers on it currently because of the fiberglass hood. Has a couple small dents/dings.Worth much more than the reserve price! Thank you for looking and Happy Bidding to all! Car sold "As Is"

Old 01-03-2008, 03:16 PM
Overdrive Member
Default RE: New third gen. owner looking for advice

ORIGINAL: wmphipps

I am an old dude who always wanted a Z28 and I finally bought one on ebay. Paid a whole $1500.I copied the ebay auction description below. My plans are to fix up and use the car for fun and to take to local car shows. I drove it home 130 mileswith no problems. The engine seems strong and sounds incredible. I will post some pics as soon as possible.There was some whining from drive train when decelerating. I am not a strong mechanic so I dropped the car off at my friends auto shop for his mechanics to evaluate. I will do the interior work myself and prep for paint. I may even try the paint job myself. I have a compressor but will need a spray gun. It is rust and bondo free. Anyone out there ever try to paint their own? Bad idea or worth a try?

It has a fiberglass cowl hood on it, pin down/lift off. The hood looks great,however it gets air under it and flaps and bangs against the car in a very exciting but unacceptable manner. What kind of replacement should I look for? Where would be a good place to look? How much will I have to pay? I like the look of the cowl hood and hope to find something similar that will not flop around.

I found a couple other z 28's in my area (Toledo, OH) that are candidates for aparts car. The best looking one is a 1985 and I am wondering what parts on the 85 will interchange with my 82. The other one is an 82. How can I find out what year will fit my car?

Any advice or references to get me started out right on my adventure will be appreciated. Below is the description of my car copied from the ebay auction:
I paint all my own stuff. But I have been doing auto body and paint since 85. If you screw up you can do more harm than good. If you end up taking it to a shop after you paint it the cost could end up being more than if you had the shop do it first.

I had an Unlimiter Products (up22???) on my 84. It was JUNK! Dont waste your money with them. I then replaced that crap with a Harwood bolt on. Waaaaayyyy better. But it was light weight that it would warp slighty with the tempature change. But that is about par for the course with light weight fiberglass. I was working on a 64 Vette and it was doing the same thing to me. Look into a steel cowl hood. They may cost a few bucks but at least you can tweak it to fit properly and it will stay no matter the tempature.

Many parts will change from an 85 to an 82. There will be differnces like in the bumper covers and ground effects but if you wanted the nerwer ones they will bolt on with minor work (like the hole location on the doors for those pieces). Also if the 85 is an auto there will be a 4 speed automatic in it.

Use the search and you may find many answers to your questions as they come up. Its some times quicker than waiting for an answer. especialy if you are like those members that will tiltle thier thread "Help ASAP"