Former Third Gen Owner Needs Advice

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2015, 05:46 PM
Default Former Third Gen Owner Needs Advice

Hi all, I'm new here but not to Camaros as they have been a part of me my entire life. Just some background, as a kid my uncle owned a 73 Camaro, loved that car and I actually bought the car from him 10 years ago when he got divorced. I spent 5-6 years restoring it with my dad and it now sits on my back yard.

My first car when I got my license however was a 1986 Camaro sports coupe, nothing fancy. I loved that car to death, that was the car I took my wife out on our first date with. Like so many others, I sold it and later regretted it.

Well while I was driving to work last week I passed a white 1984 Camaro sports coupe that had a for sale sign. The interior was identical to my 86 but the front nose looked a bit different. The car has 75k original miles and is an absolute cream puff. Not a speck of rust or rot on or under. The original paint shines beautifully as there isn't a dent or scratch on her. I called the owner and she (yes she) came out and popped the hood and to my dissapointment the Iron Duke was staring me in the face.

Look I'm a sucker for originality. But a four cylinder? I don't think I could deal with that. This car doesn't even have a spoiler! I love it! I love the look of plain Jane Camaros and this just calls to me. I'd hate to yank out the original motor and put in a 350 and ruin such an unmolested car. She's asking 2500.

What would be involved in putting a 350 in the car? I'm sure it could be done but at what cost? Is it even worth it? I fell in love with the car and just need some advice with this. Thanks sorry for the long post.

Old 04-21-2015, 06:48 PM
Third Generation Moderator
March 2010 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

You'd be better off looking for a car that already has the engine you want in it. The cost of doing an engine swap will outweigh the value of the car by several times. Even if you do most of the work yourself, the only way to make it anywhere near cost effective is to also buy a wrecked V8 car and swap everything over.