82-92 V8 Tech V8 Camaro General Topics.

might be gettin an IROC

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2008, 09:54 PM
Default might be gettin an IROC

My uncle recently purchased an 85 Iroc-Z for $1500. It is black with a grey interior, t-tops, 305 tpi, automatic (one thing holding me back). he's got enough projects on his hands and i think he would sell it to me.

it has been in storage since '92, has 52,000 miles, no rust and only a few minor dings in the body. the interior's a little rough because it was stored with the tops removed and the windows down, but no wierd smells, just dirty.

known issues are an oil leak, tranny leak, and probable faulty fuel pump. we haven't run it yet, but the engine turns over smoothly.

1) i think this is a great price, do you agree?

2) any problems these cars were known for that i should be aware of? (besides being 23yrs old?)

Old 01-16-2008, 09:38 PM
Default RE: might be gettin an IROC

nothin?

Old 01-16-2008, 10:03 PM
March 2008 ROTM

1500 for a iroc. not bad. unless it is indeed a faulty pump. check all that out and let us know what the problems actually are. Even still, not a bad price

Old 01-18-2008, 05:43 PM

Hard to say without an actualvisual on the car. More importantly, what do you want in the car?

General guidelines. If it doesn't run are you willing to spend the dollars necessary to get the car running? Just because it turns over does not mean it will run. Or, if it does run there's no guarantee it will run smoothly.

$1500 for a running 3rd gen with modest problems is not a bad price. The known issues you describe are common with vehicles not beingdriven regularly. Despite the general consensus that low mileage is great, which in some cases is true, cars need to be driven. Leaving vehicles sitting for months or years without being driven is typically detrimentalformoving parts needing lubrication.

A question begging to be asked is: Why was it stored with the tops removed and the windows down? I own two convertibles. I never leave eitherfor evena night without putting the top and windows up.

Are you buying this car as your primary vehicle or as a toy? As a primary vehicle I prescribe the anecdotein the Forrest Gump movie, "Run Forrest, Run". As a toy, it's only as much fun as your wallet will allow.

Old 01-18-2008, 09:06 PM

I take it from the words that you use in here that you want this car as a toy if so and all that is wrong with it is the fuel pump I say go for it just like 89irocz said its only as much fun as your wallet can handle. As for a daily drive I agree once again with 89irocz RUN RUN RUN this sounds like it will cost a good bit of money to make sound. For the t-tops off and windows down I know that some people in the early 90's thought it was good for the seals to not have them compressed like that but you should find out if there are more proplems still. The reason I feel you want this car as a toy is because you are concerned with it being an Automatic car you can make it a 5 speed or even a 6 speed just depends on how much you wanna spend its not that difficult to do but it is something that you should think about before commiting to this if it is not completly what you want

Old 01-19-2008, 02:36 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Whether it's a toy or a daily driver makes no difference, you still need to be able to drive it and make it dependable! Buying it wouldn't scare me as long as you have the capabilities to do the work yourself, otherwise you would be spending a lot to pay someone else to fix what's wrong, or what else could go wrong. This past summer, for only $1,000 I picked up a very nice 91 RS with 116k miles from the original owner. It has no rust and the interior is mint. It had been sitting for about 2.5 years so it needed some work to get it back on the road. It also had new tires & brakes put on right before it was parked. I had to replace the fuel pump, (which was the major issue), replace the fuel filter, rebuilt the TBI unit, put on new exhaust, bled all the crappy fluid out of the brake system, changed the oil, and gave it a complete tune up and battery. After about two weeks on the road, the water pump leaked, so on went a new one. Shortly after that, the alternator went. Now all is fine, and I have a total spent of around $2,000 for the car and parts. Just be prepared for something unforseen to go bad and you'll be ok. And if you don't want the car, let me know!

Old 01-22-2008, 09:31 PM

i'll be doing all the work myself, so--if i get it--i will hold onto my grand am untilthe iroc'srunning perfectly, then either remove my grand am's insurance and hold onto it as a liquid asset or just sell it, then drive the iroc every day.

yes, they removed the t-tops so as not to squish the moldings, but i imagine it probably needs replacing by now anyway.

my grand am taught me that driving a car for its efficiency isn't worth it if you aren't excited by it, so it won't change my mind about getting it, but what kind of mpg's can i expect if i'm not shredding tires and speeding?

Old 01-23-2008, 06:55 PM

Well thats a good plan and I think your probly making a good decision the mile per gallon is going to veri and will depend on alot of things if I remember correctly the average was 14-16 city and 18-19 hwy I could be wrong but I think that is right I have a 350 slightly built and I get about 12-14mpg

Old 01-25-2008, 09:29 PM

no problemo then, my s-10 was hardly any better and my pontiac somehow sucked down 18mpg last fill up.

'nother question, how big's the gas tank?

thanks for all the responses by the way.

Old 01-26-2008, 06:12 PM

Well the gas tank in my z is only 12 or 13 gallons but ( dont quote me on this) I have been told they come in either 12 or 15 gallon tanks