82-92 V8 Tech V8 Camaro General Topics.

finally got my Iroc running!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2007, 03:43 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default finally got my Iroc running!!!

As I said in the title I finally got my car running after replacing the pump and a cracked hose, I would like to thank everyone who got me this far,as I bought the car not running and not knowing very much about the car your input has been very helpful. I have another question though last night when I got the car started it took alittle cranking to get itfired upIknew it wouldn't just start right up so I didn't think very much about it. Afterit started I drove it around the block a couple of times, I was pleased with the way it ran and drove especially after been setting for 10 years in a garage. I went back to the garage a couple of times that night and it started fine,but this morning it cranked and cranked before it finally started. When I engage the key to the on position without starting it the pump runs like it should, but I hear something under the hood maybe it is the regulator returning the unused fuel or it might be fuel going through a injector ifit is loading up with fuel does that mean the reg. is bad or could it be a injector not seating good.Other than the starting problem every thing is ok ie idle,throttle responce,temp,I don't know about the oil pressure gauge stays pegged out after starting it,and restarting is not a problem.

Old 04-08-2007, 04:30 PM
Default RE: finally got my Iroc running!!!

Hm, my 91 camaro Z28 starts kinda hard too. I thought it was the battery not giving enough juice but when i replaced with with the optima, it still did the same thing.

Maybe it's the starter? I'm not quite sure, but I've been checking into mine..

Old 04-08-2007, 04:47 PM
In the Staging Lanes

My engine turns over fine it takes quite of bit of cranking to get it to fire,but when it does you can shut it off and it will fire up easy. i think I still have a fuel problem .The pressure has been checked if anything it is a little high.

Old 04-08-2007, 05:28 PM

I don't know. I have the same problem that you have. My car cranks and cranks when it's cold and stuff. My fuel system is fine because it was replaced not even a month ago.

Check your starter dude. Might be going..

Old 04-08-2007, 05:29 PM
Overdrive Member

Have you checked your fuel pressure and see how long it holds its pressure? Maybe its not holding pressure and the extended cranking is building up the oil pressure to turn the fuel pump on. How long does it crank? First start of the day after sitting a while will need a little more cranking.

Old 04-08-2007, 05:40 PM
In the Staging Lanes

I did check the fuel presure while it was running when I shut it down the pressure held at 40 psi for about 5 seconds before it dropped all the way to 0 . I thought the pump ran for about five seconds before fire up so it would fire before the oil presure came up

Old 04-08-2007, 09:37 PM
Overdrive Member

That is why the computer uses a relay to turn the pump on. But I think your pressure is going down to fast. I gave my bro my digital pressure tester and book so I cant look up how its suposed to hold. Its restarts quickly because you still have oil pressure present to engage the switch sooner

Old 04-08-2007, 10:04 PM
In the Staging Lanes

I think I may have 1 or more injectors leaking down. That would cause the hard strart prob. by puddling fuel in the inake valve area and by letting all the pressure out of the fuel rail. I am in the process of running some sea foam through it maybe that will free up the injector.