82-92 V8 Tech V8 Camaro General Topics.

braking performance

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2006, 08:25 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: braking performance

Hey my car will need new brake rotors and pads, i was checking the rotors in summitracing and hey got Extreme Performance Cross-Drilled and Slotted Brake Rotors for 60 each are these rotors good?? and do i need performance pads?? my rear rotors are the ones that need to be replace, if i get these rotors should i replace all four of them?? what ya think??

Old 11-18-2006, 05:07 AM
2nd Gear member

You'd do well to replace all four if you get slotted or cross drilled in the back, since you'll otherwise offset the balance of braking. You don't need performance pads, I use bendix titaniums with good results, and they run about $60 a set. Break 'em in when you get them. 30-30-30 is the accepted method by mechanics who actually know that you're s'posed to break them in. 30 moderate stops from 30mph, 30 seconds between stops.

Old 11-18-2006, 06:29 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: FlufyTiger

You'd do well to replace all four if you get slotted or cross drilled in the back, since you'll otherwise offset the balance of braking. You don't need performance pads, I use bendix titaniums with good results, and they run about $60 a set. Break 'em in when you get them. 30-30-30 is the accepted method by mechanics who actually know that you're s'posed to break them in. 30 moderate stops from 30mph, 30 seconds between stops.
whats this break'em thing about can u explain it more ?? thankx

Old 11-19-2006, 04:43 AM
1st Gear Member

Look its bad enough that you ran from the cops especially since you shoot at somebody. I'm in the police acadamy now and posting something like this on the internet is not a good idea concidering that we can track you. But being a camaro freak im going to pretend I didn't hear that (besides your definitly not in my district or even my state) look go on ebay and find a nice set of slotted rotors and ceramic brake pads. The slotted rotors will help dispence the braking gas allowing more contact surface from the brake pads and a ceramic pad perfromes better then a traditional pad also go with some steel brakes lines they allow more pressure to calibers instead of giving flex like the rubber hoses do. This will really help out your breaking distance

Old 11-19-2006, 04:49 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: camarorz28

ORIGINAL: FlufyTiger

whats this break'em thing about can u explain it more ?? thankx
the break'em thing is just breaking in the pads and rotors its like if you build a new motor you don't want to dog it right away you want to give it time to set in so that all the parts work together correctly not giving it time to break in will cause some damage. With the breaks you want to give them time so that the pads will work together with the rotor. Doing a few stops from 30mph to 0 with about 30 sec inbetween to allow the pad to cool off will allow the pad to mate with the surface of the rotor better making your stops a lot easy

Old 11-19-2006, 02:51 PM
2nd Gear member

ORIGINAL: 2002CamaroSSM6

The slotted rotors will help dispence the braking gas allowing more contact surface from the brake pads and a ceramic pad perfromes better then a traditional pad also go with some steel brakes lines they allow more pressure to calibers instead of giving flex like the rubber hoses do. This will really help out your breaking distance
Who ever told you that ceramics will help stop better than semi metalics? The ceramic pad's main goal in life is to stop the car with a moderate effectiveness and not make noise or a mess. If you're worried about stopping quickly, semi metalics are the way to go, but it comes at a price of moderate brake noise in rapid stops, and some dust on your wheels. Not to mention that ceramics fade alot more and alot faster than semi metalics do, and with high speed stops, you can ussusaly expect brake fade to be doubled for every 15 or so mph over 55. Breaking in, as 2002CamaroSSM6 said, mates the pad to the rotor, so you get a more even brake apply, resulting in better stopping power, longer pad life, and less noise.

Old 11-20-2006, 06:55 PM
1st Gear Member

thanx guys i'll keeps this in mind when i replace my rotors and pads, could it be my pad that are bad that are making my rear wheels smell every time i get off the car after a drive. It smells like if i just stops from burning rubber