82-92 V8 Tech V8 Camaro General Topics.

braking performance

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2006, 11:38 PM
March 2011 ROTM
Technical User
ROTM Winner's Club
Default braking performance

the previous owner of my 86 camaro said that had the brakes done when he got it. i was in a scuffle last night involving the cops, and i had to get away (no insurance or inspection yet). i wanted to slow down from around 90 to make a turn, and i started braking about full brake 300 feet in advance, but it had only gotten down to around 30 or so mph for where i had planned on turning. im wondering what the average braking distance should be, and if i should replace my pads (probably upgrading, im up for ideas and opinions)

Old 11-02-2006, 12:38 AM
Tech Droid
Default RE: braking performance

If the brakes were brand new, they didn't get a chance to break in, and the stopping distances would be longer than ususal. Other possibility could be poor pads, air in lines, bad booster, didn't stand on the brakes hard enough. It is a bad policy to run from cops, you get them pissed enough and you will bee in deep do-do.

Old 11-02-2006, 01:12 AM
2nd Gear member

yup, it just aint worth it, you dont want to be on the cops bad side. the previous owner probably didnt replace the rotors on the car as well, check the pads, and if they need to be replaced just get a premium set of pads/rotors, its worth it to spend more and have them last longer and more reliable.

Old 11-02-2006, 03:28 AM
2nd Gear member

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

Don't forget to break the new pads in when you get them. 30 moderate stops, that means no slamming on the brakes to get away from the cops while you do it, from 30 mph with a 30 second break in between each is ussually the accepted method in the industry, and it only takes about 20 minutes, and is definitely worth it as it adds to the life and quality of your brake job.

On another note, did you lose them right away, or did they follow for a while? Will we be seeing the chase on tv in a couple months?

Old 11-02-2006, 04:14 AM
Overdrive Member

If I see ya on America's Most Wanted Im gonna rat you out!

Old 11-02-2006, 06:05 PM
1st Gear Member

Don't buy crappy pads...they don't last very long. Get composite or better, they last longer and work a LOT better.

Old 11-02-2006, 11:37 PM
March 2011 ROTM
Technical User
ROTM Winner's Club

i was looking at performance pads, but most of them are for the rear brakes or the second gen. ill check the link posed above. ill also check through jegs again.

i was doing donuts in the parking lot of a secluded business that was closed, and i saw them come over the hill for the entrance. it was a crappy v6 ford escape, so they gave up after i got out of direct eye sight. however, with the cords showing on my front tires and possible bad struts, i deffinatly would not have out handled it. and if you think that donuts arent worth running from, they are for me. non-inspected, uninsured vehicles definatly counts for bail revocation (long story, basicly shot at a car that tried to run my dad over late at night on our farm).

Old 11-02-2006, 11:43 PM
March 2011 ROTM
Technical User
ROTM Winner's Club

fluffy tiger, there is no way i can afford that wilwood kit. im 17 working for $6/hr 22 hours a week. its taken me a few years just to save what i got to buy and fix my camaro. right now, im just going to invest in performance pads. calipers and rotors are too expensive.

Old 11-03-2006, 01:10 PM
March 2011 ROTM
Technical User
ROTM Winner's Club

now here is my new deliema. how do i found out what braking system i have? my brother is running my vin through a dealer to find out what my car came with for the gears, and was going to get the other stuff too. ive seen two different types of brakes:

82-92 Camaro/Firebird (w/Heavy Duty Brakes and Dual Piston Brakes)

82-92 Camaro/Firebird (w/Standard Duty Brakes and Single Piston Brakes and w/Rear Disc 1st & 2nd Design)

its easy to tell if the front brakes are dual piston, isnt it? by simply looking at the design of the caliper, it should have two circles on the outside, right? now if my car doesnt have dual piston calipers, how do i know if mine is the first or second design for rear brakes, if that matters?

Old 11-03-2006, 04:01 PM
2nd Gear member

I'd go with bendix titaniums, in that case, they do well by me, and run about $60 a set around here.

Quick Reply: braking performance