82-92 V8 Tech V8 Camaro General Topics.

bad start

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2009, 07:09 PM
Default bad start

ok so i decided to build up a camaro. it is a 91 rs by the way. kid that i bought it from says they ripped the viper alarm out of it. didn't think nothing of it. on the way home battery goes dead. get new battery and put the car on a tester. comes back that it is charging yet when it is off and and they key is pulled it is still drawing close to 4.5 amps. i have been all over this car and almost checked every single wire i can find to figure out what is causing the drain. so i am turning to you guys for ideas help suggestions that i can try , look for or whatever.

91 camaro rs with a little 305 5 speed tranny

Old 08-06-2009, 08:53 PM
Tech Droid

Make sure that the bat light is off. If it stays on there is a problem in the charging system. Check all obvious things such as lights staying on and junk in the cig lighter socket.

With the key OFF, lift the + cable from the battery and place your ammeter in series with the battery + terminal and the + battery cable. Start pulling fuses one at a time while watching the ammeter and hopefully you will find one that will stop the draw. Once you found the fuse you will need a wiring diagram and inspect everything connected to that circuit. Check both fuse panels, the one under the hood and the one in the instrument panel.

Old 08-06-2009, 11:11 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

The drain might be related to the alarm system. You'll want to trace the wires under the hood and disconnect them. Most likely power for the alarm was tapped right off the pos terminal of the battery, or off the junction block that's between the battery and radiator. Look for any wiring that doesn't look factory, a wire that has an aftermarket looking inline fuse, etc. Sometimes installers will use that plastic corrugated shielding over the wiring, so look closely at everything.

Old 08-07-2009, 06:07 AM

ok thanks guys will be checking all that stuff today, but i do have one question where is the fuse panel that is in the instrument panel? i know of one under the dash.

Old 08-07-2009, 08:57 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

The fuse panel is under the dash, drivers side. Get your head down on the floor and look up. You'll see a rectangle shaped cover that pops off.

Old 08-07-2009, 12:38 PM

lol yeah i thought about that after i posted it. ok here is what i got. now after checking and rechecking the wires i went form a 4.5 amp pull to a 2.0 amp pull. pulled every fuse while it was being checked and no change. still pulling 2.0 amps. any other ideas or suggestions. this is my first camaro and don't want it to be my last. is there a possibility that the ignition could affect it? like maybe it is not cutting power like it should be? no wires that i seen from the previous alarm that was yanked either.

it is frustrating me to the poin that i think it is kinda funny now. high hopes for this car but won't happen if i can't figure it out.

THANK YOU for your help and advice if i forget to say it later.

Old 08-07-2009, 01:06 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

What did you mess with to lower the amp draw from 4.5 to 2?
You still have some relays and fuses to check under the hood. Look on the drivers side and take off the black cover.
Obviously nothing should be drawing that much. Even the radio memory only uses milliamps with the key off. Have you checked other things like glove box or console cover light to make sure they go off when closed?

Old 08-07-2009, 03:33 PM
August 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Silly question, but did you disconnect the under hood light while performing the test?

Old 08-07-2009, 03:55 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

unhook the little wire (also called the exciter wire) off the alternator and see if thats were the draw is comming from. the regulator inside the alternator could be going or gone. the alternator will charge fine but when u turn the key off the regulator does not cut the conection to the system like its supposed to and it will drain the battery. may or may not be your problem.

Old 08-07-2009, 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by Jr. Mechanic
Silly question, but did you disconnect the under hood light while performing the test?

no but that wouldn't pull 2 amps of power would it?

thanks again guys you have given me more things to check and i am greatful for all the advice on this issue. will let you know what i find out tomorrow.