82-92 V8 Tech V8 Camaro General Topics.

88 rs 5.0 no start

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2009, 12:27 PM
Default 88 rs 5.0 no start

Ok, so I've been working on my dad's camaro for a while now. It's an 88 rs with a 5.0 engine, and it sat for 8+years. Needless to say it didn't start. Testing found a bad fuel pump, and further inspection found a completely rusted tank, rotted rubber line on fuel pump outlet, rusted pickup screen, and the list goes on and on. After cleaning the tank and putting new fuel pump, screen, fuel filter, etc on it, it would crank and run (although rough). Then I found one of my injectors not firing. It was getting a signal, so I took apart the TBI and cleaned it, and it ran like a champ (it actually ran REALLY strong!). So my dad drove it about two weeks, and it started giving trouble. It died a couple times, but would eventually crank back up. Now, it won't start at all.

The fuel pump is still running and making pressure, however I'm not getting a signal to my injectors (I still have a strong 12.6 V, but no ground signal when cranking). I apparently do not have spark either, because it won't fire on starting fluid either (as it did before). All my fuses are good, including ecm and inj fuses.

My guess is I either have a bad cam or crank sensor, although I'm not sure what sensors are on this engine or where they are located. Also, what's the trick to read flash codes off ecm?

If anybody has some information or has had a similar problem any help would be great!

Brian

Old 03-06-2009, 02:41 PM
March 2011 ROTM
Technical User
ROTM Winner's Club

these engines dont have a crank or cam sensor, theyre old. pull a plug wire and verify with a spark tester or a spark plug to make sure you dont have spark. if no, check the coil, cap, and rotor. ive seen broken rotors on cars that sat too long. the tbi systems use an oil pressure sensor to keep the fuel pump and injectors working. they usually work for about 5 seconds before reading the sensor. check the pressure at the tbi unit to make sure there is pressure at it, it should be around 5-8 psi. if its lower than that, replace the filter again. there may have been crud in the tank worked loose from driving. try these and see what happens

Old 03-09-2009, 08:49 PM

Turns out my ecm was not getting a reference signal from the distributor, thus the no fuel or spark. I pulled the distributor cap to check the magnetic pick up sensor and found heaps of corrosion on the two pins under the cap. I looked all around town for new connectors but couldn't find any, but made some spade connectors work.