V6 to V8 Manual Trans

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2018, 11:09 AM
Question V6 to V8 Manual Trans

Hi folks,

I have posted a few other sites and came across here and see that most of the answers to peoples questions seem to be a bit more friendly here. Everything I seem to ask on the other sites I either get than I'm dumb, its a dumb idea or some other rude comment that isn't useful at all (in fact more discouraging to even want to continue than anything else) but I'm hope that I can find some useful info here even if its not the answers I want to here as long as its constructive not destructive advice.

What I have is a 92 RS with the 3.1 and 5 speed transmission. I have a 350 offered to me out of a 70's pickup (and I know there are most likely issues there to getting that even usable if I decide to do it at all) and also a 305 offered to me from a late 70's pickup also. I haven't actually gone to look at either engine so I'm not too concerned about those issues at the moment. What I am curious about is the transmission. I see a lot of post about being able to use the 700r4 transmission from a 3.1 on a V8 but I don't see a lot of info about the 5-speed transmissions. Is it the same situation with the 3.1 manual to a V8 that some will work but others wont?

If I could use the same transmission I have I might consider looking into one of the engines offered to me or even look into a newer V8 (however the ones offered to me are free to me if I just go get them lol). If I absolutely have to have a different transmission I'm wondering how difficult my search will be, so I guess the transmission issue is really my deciding factor at this point.

Also if this wont work, if someone could give me a good explanation why and not just tell me it wont work I would appreciate that too because if nothing else I would actually like to learn something new. I have changed engines and transmission but usually replacing one with another of the same not a situation like this.

Thank you for any help and new knowledge.

Old 06-05-2018, 10:29 PM
Y2K
4th Gear Member

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I think the bell housing bolt pattern is different. That said the 5 speed won't last long with V-8 power anyway.
As for the 305 or 350 the 350 is the only way to fly and an early '70's truck motor is a great one to build. You might even find it to be a 4 bolt main block with a steel crank, some of them were in the heavy duty pickups.

Old 06-06-2018, 11:43 AM

that's what I was assuming with the bolt pattern but glad to hear that I was thinking correctly. I would still like to have a 350 in this car, however I just learned that in PA where I live it would have to have the emissions equipment that was standard for that year which I don't think I will be able to do with the older engine. So sadly I think that Idea is going to have to be on hold until I can find one that will work. Right now I like what the previous owner did with the 3.1, it sounds nice, however it just doesn't have a lot of get up n go so I'm looking into better options for even a little more than what its got. I read somewhere that a 3.4? would be an easy swap but need to do some more research on that and will probably post some questions about that in other sections on this site.

Thank you for your response though, I do appreciate it.

Old 06-06-2018, 06:10 PM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by olmstead.jim.w
that's what I was assuming with the bolt pattern but glad to hear that I was thinking correctly. I would still like to have a 350 in this car, however I just learned that in PA where I live it would have to have the emissions equipment that was standard for that year which I don't think I will be able to do with the older engine. So sadly I think that Idea is going to have to be on hold until I can find one that will work. Right now I like what the previous owner did with the 3.1, it sounds nice, however it just doesn't have a lot of get up n go so I'm looking into better options for even a little more than what its got. I read somewhere that a 3.4? would be an easy swap but need to do some more research on that and will probably post some questions about that in other sections on this site.

Thank you for your response though, I do appreciate it.
Car is older than 25 years, they shouldn't be able to do anything about it, just get classic plates

Old 06-06-2018, 07:48 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

They can be hard to find but if you could find a wrecked or rotted out 92 305 TPI you could get the parts needed to do a factory conversion and use your T-5. This was a factory combo in 1992. Parts needed would include V8 bell house clutch, ect.

The 350 was never put with the 5 speed because the WC t5 was not rated to handle it.

They 3.4 conversion was common but with the engine all being so old you end up with a ton of money and time, 160 hp to 185hp it just does not seem worth it. The 3.4 is much more relievable bottom end. The 3.1 was much better then the 2.8 but it was still spinning bearings under warranty.