Power steering installation - Camaro Forums - Chevy Camaro Enthusiast Forum

Old 01-19-2016, 07:29 AM

Default Power steering installation

Dear fellow Chevy Camaro entusiasts

I finally got my Camaro Z28 '82 last monday. Imported it to my homecountry Denmark. I was very happy to get it started and all, I absolutely love the sound. There is a lot to do to the car, but that is okay, that is why I bought it. To learn how to do stuff on cars.

But there is one major thing, that I want to adress as one of the first things, because there is no power steering. I found some parts in the back, that looks like power steering stuff.

What I want to ask is, since I am a beginner, installing power steering seem like a very daunting task. The Haynes repair manual says to leave it to the professionals and the Chilton manual has the instructions but it mentions like 3-4 special tools. Is it super hard to do or?

video:
Old 01-24-2016, 09:44 AM
1st Gear Member

Just a power steering gear , power steering pump and a few hoses. Does your car have a pulley to run the power steering pump off of? If so its not that big of a project, you can do it! Looks like the guy before you took the heater and air out as well. Probably was trying to save weight for racing. Does the car still have power brakes?
Old 01-25-2016, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IROC87 View Post
Just a power steering gear , power steering pump and a few hoses. Does your car have a pulley to run the power steering pump off of? If so its not that big of a project, you can do it! Looks like the guy before you took the heater and air out as well. Probably was trying to save weight for racing. Does the car still have power brakes?
Apart from some rust on the rotors and calipers the brakes are amazing! I have done (real) burnouts for the first time in my life!

There is no pulley, I think I'll have somebody install it. There is plenty of other stuff I can do... Thanks for the reply!
Old 11-28-2016, 09:25 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Just a heads up, running a power steering gear box without power steering fluid in it will ruin the bearings and the seal. Depending on how long the last owner had the steering box disconnected you may need a rebuild kit or replacement steering box.

Another word of warning. If you hook up a good power steering pump to a bad steering gears the metal from the gear will ruin the pump.

Before you hook up any unknown component install an inline filter in the power steering line.

You will need to do something because driving a car with a power steering box that is not hooked up is dangerous. It would not pass any safety inspection I have seen here in the states.
Old 11-29-2016, 04:34 AM

Default got it all sorted out

thank you Gorn for replying on my old question. Yup, the steering box was bad so it has been replaced. Also a new steering column, it was remanufactured, bought it on ebay, it was really cheap and it was made like new. He called himself Dan the Column man. I can recommend.

Also I can recommend the steering fluid called Redline, I think it is made in the US.

I'll put pictures up soon.