My 86 Sport coupe project thread.

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2012, 10:38 PM
1st Gear Member

Well over the past few weeks i decided to lose the ground Fx. I decided i want to keep the car original as there aren't many sport coupes around here, plus it would be a great sleeper. Not to mention the roads by me suck, and with the lowered suspension I'm gonna be installing, that nose spoiler wont last very long.

I also found a hatch with defrost of an 86 in the junkyard, as well as a 110 speedo with tach. Its no the 145mph cluster i was hoping for, but its still waay better than the 85mph with the giant gas gauge.

Only 35 bucks

23 bucks for the cluster with tach

Installed on the car

Aside from removing the ground Fx, i got the dash back together and the K member undercoated:

And here is how she sits right now:

More updates to come

Old 04-05-2012, 10:59 AM
4th Gear Member

That's coming along nicely. The new cluster would throw me off a few times with tach on the right side instead of the left. Haha. You saved some weight too keeping the ground effects kit off it.

Old 04-05-2012, 09:11 PM
1st Gear Member

Got my Spohn T56 crossmember in the mail today. Bought it from a member off another forum.

Old 04-05-2012, 11:16 PM

Car looks GREAT! ive been a body man for the last 10yrs and have a great apprieciation for the man who builds his own ride. you are obviously going a great deal farther than most. alot people dont realize how much extra there is to "doing the extras". i also recently purchased my first 3rd gen and am currently wrenching as time and money allow. by reading i can tell your doing exactly what i am, hitting the yards and piecing together a clean car on a budget. you however are going quite a bit farther then i will. as far as paint for the car, if you could get in touch w/ a painter. alot of them are more than willing to do side work. the trick is finding the right one. most really good painters will have access to thier shops paint booth(shop owners will usually let them do side work if theyre good employees). also finding one that wont half-*** it because theyre ready to be finished with the job and get paid could be tough. but if you can some how find the right guy you could save thousands of dollars. at my shop we typically charge $5000 to paint and all over. and thats with the vehicle needing no more than door dings removed. now we do give a life time warranty w/ the job but my painter would do the same job w/ the same materials(easily $1000 worth) for $2500-$3000. i know that still sounds high to most people but those that know what kind of work it really takes to produce a REAL paint job should agree that is a fair price. good luck with the build ill be keeping up w/ it for sure.

Old 04-13-2012, 07:38 PM
1st Gear Member

I wish I had the time/knowledge/money to make my car look like that!! I have been investing everything in the motor and drivetrain but eventually will get to body redone. Maybe not as far as you have, because mine is in Texas and rust-free haha. Hopefully when I get out of school I will have enough expenable income to really tear into mine. Only problem is I like driving it too much haha. Good luck with completing yours!! Can't wait to see that 383 monster. And it will make well over 400 hp if tuned right. Probably over 400 to the ground.

Old 04-14-2012, 08:08 AM
1st Gear Member

Thanks, i havent been doing much to the car lately as my parents are having new siding and windows put on the house and the car is surrounded by tools and supplies. In the meantime ive been doing minor body work when i get a chance, but nothing extravagent. Im saving up for the trans right now, then im gonna start buyig suspension parts. I have about 1,000.00 now, need 1650.00.

Its a t-56 out of a 1995 z28 with 79,000 miles. Ive been searching craigslist for cheaper ones, but i cant find anything. Atleast i know i wont have any issues with it if i buy it from a buisness rather than craigslist. Plus if there is an issue with it they said they would take it back, but it has been tested so it should be fine.

Last edited by mgg4591; 04-14-2012 at 08:11 AM.
Old 04-15-2012, 11:17 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Looks like you are making good progress and are ready for the 350 rebuild!

Old 04-22-2012, 09:48 PM
1st Gear Member

Well i dipped into the transmission fund to buy a set of black GTA wheels today. Guy was selling them for 300.00 bucks off craigslist. No curb rash. There my favorite factory rim so i couldn't resist. I never seen them for sale around here, so when they popped up i had to buy them.

They needed a little R&R but nothing difficult. I stripped the clear coat off the lip as it was cracking and polished it up nice. Sprayed a fresh coat of black paint on the spokes, and they look amazing.

Old 04-23-2012, 10:55 AM
3rd Gear Member

Those wheels look great!!!

Old 04-23-2012, 11:29 PM
Super Scooch
January 2009 ROTM

this is probably my favorite project thread on the forums. I love to see a guy do all the work himself and take the time to do it right. The car looks great, you do good work... thats for sure. And I love the wheels, definately a good buy. I would not have passed those up either. Keep up the good work, cant wait to see that thing smoking the tires. thanks for taking the time to post all the pics too.

Quick Reply: My 86 Sport coupe project thread.