My 86 Sport coupe project thread.

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2011, 10:19 PM
1st Gear Member

Well its been a while since i posted an update. I slowed down on work because of the cold and i don't have a garage. I got alot of the body work done. Got the greasable door hinges installed on both sides as well as new lower pins and detent rollers. It was 60 degrees today so i got her primed and hit her with some satin black krylon. Its gonna be a while till i can afford a real paint job, after shes on the road, and i didnt want to leave the car in primer because of rust.

For a rattle can it came out really good. Gonna hit it with another coat and it should be good. Probably not gonna be very durable, but it will work until i bring it to get painted professionally. Here are some pics: Dont have any front shots because i need fenders and a hood.

Old 01-10-2012, 06:32 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Any updates?

Old 01-10-2012, 07:48 PM
2nd Gear member

I just read this whole thread, I think you are doing great! Keep up the good work and that car will live again to be better than she ever was. So far, AWESOME JOB!

Old 01-11-2012, 12:11 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Yeah, to do that yourself, too! Motivates me to get some anti-corrosion spray and do the wheelwells and other parts underneath my car in the spring.

Old 01-11-2012, 01:48 PM
1st Gear Member

I'm gonna finish up the wiring this afternoon then hopefully I can get the interior in by the weekend. I sold the 700-r4 and im going with a t56.

Just need to solder the power window and door lock wires into the fuse box and run speaker wire. I finished putting in the 4th gen clutch pedal assembly and cut the hole for the shifter. I'll have some pics later on today. I also got the windows in and all the new weatherstripping installed

Last edited by mgg4591; 01-11-2012 at 01:52 PM.
Old 01-11-2012, 08:55 PM
1st Gear Member

Well today i finished 95 percent of the wiring. I got the clutch switch wired up and ran the wires for the reverse light switch to outside of the car. I also got the main power for the power windows and door locks soldered into their factory place in the fuse box, and they work great. Also ran new speaker wire from the speaker locations to the rear hatch area for when i get the amps installed later on.

I'm set to get the interior in now. I have new carpeting i got a few months ago and i just cleaned up the hatch carpet as it was just a little dirty. I just need to run the power cable for the amp and the wiring harness for the rear defrost as the car didn't come with it, and i would like to add it. I can do that later though.

I also found a nice set of third gen rear leather seats a few months ago. I'm either gonna get a set of front seats to match, or a pair of sparco seats instead. Also need a headliner, but that can wait.

Under coated

Shot of the undercoating under the car

New door seals nice and tight

Old K member removed, getting a tubular UMI to replace it

Ready for an engine

Old 01-12-2012, 09:36 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Awesome work, and doing it yourself! Way to go, progress looks great!

Old 01-13-2012, 07:52 PM
2nd Gear member

All i can say is "WAY TO GO". You will have one of the nicest 3d gens around. I would love to do this to my 93 z.

Old 01-13-2012, 10:03 PM
1st Gear Member

Well we had a lot of heavy rain and wind the other day, so if there were any leaks at all in the body, they would show now. I got water in the hatch area, which is to be expected because there is currently no hatch seal installed, but the new one has been ordered. The drivers side was completely dry, but the passenger foot-well had a small puddle. Last week I sealed around the plastic junction where the harness comes into the car as there was a small gap there. Now that the puddle came back after this rain, i know that wasn't the source. It looks like its coming from the joint were the body pieces meet and there is that black tar on the seam. There is a small chunk of the tar missing and it looks like its dripping from there.

I'm gonna seal up the inside and outside of that joint and hose it down really good. If the leak is gone, the interior can go in as soon as that hatch seal comes in. I also thought the windshield may be leaking, but there are no signs of water anywhere above the floor, so it probably not.

Last edited by mgg4591; 01-13-2012 at 10:06 PM.
Old 01-14-2012, 04:22 PM
In the Staging Lanes

It is a very good idea to make sure the vehicle is leak proof before putting the interiot in.

Quick Reply: My 86 Sport coupe project thread.