My 86 Sport coupe project thread.

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2012, 05:03 PM
1st Gear Member

Havent been posting frequent updates, but its for a good reason. Been doing a lot of work on the car and havent really had the time. So to bring everything up to date here is a list of everything i have done/installed in the past month with some photos below.

Installed all new JL speakers and a factory headunit with AUX input with amp and subs, plus a sirius sat radio unit. Amped the factory unit with a focal 4 channel amp. Sounds amazing for a 20 year old HU, and no one wants to steal it .

Got my new carpet installed and black plastics and door panels from my previous camaro. Just need a set of black seats, not sure if i want to go 4th gen leather, or racing buckets.

Now for the performance upgrades,

Installed a new set of KYB shocks and mounts.

Almost complete front end, all Moog, inner and outer tie rods, center link, idler arm, sway bar links, new front pads, resurfaced the rotors. Just need the set of tubular A-arms and larger front sway bar, then the front end will be done.

Swapped in a rebuilt steering box from an 87 WS6 trans am, along with an Astro van steering shaft to eliminate the loose rag joint.- great upgrade that makes a huge difference.

In the rear i swapped in the 4th gen POSI rear i had bought for the other camaro, as well as 4th gen rear disk brakes. Just need a set of parking brake cables. Sits out about 2 inches more on each side, so i had to roll the inner quarter due to rubbing. Next set of rims i get are gonna be backspaced so they fit back inside the quarter. Doesn't look bad though.

4th gen rear:

Original rear:

Brakes:

And this morning i installed a set of eibach pro kit springs. Huge improvement in stance and handling over the 27 year old v6 springs. Even though they are v8 springs, the height is still slightly lower than stock, and the handling is greatly improved. Once i swap in the v8/t-56 the height will drop some more.

Before:

After:

So thats where I am at right now. Aside from that i just started cleaning up the engine bay. I eliminated the A/C compressor and lines, as well as the washer bottle and evap canister. Im going to install a 4th gen washer bottle out of sight, as well as a 4th gen coolant bottle under the battery tray.

Hope have a set of subframe connectors installed soon as well as spohn front and rear sway bars. The drive train swap will begin in the spring when i get my tax return. I turned away from the ls1 swap, as i feel i can get a lot more power for the same amount of money if i go a different route, but i wont give away the surprise. Going to try to update regularly, if you dont hear from me, i probably didnt get any more work done.- starting to snow over here...

Old 12-31-2012, 07:29 PM
Super Scooch
January 2009 ROTM

Id say youve been very busy. Looks great!

Old 01-01-2013, 08:17 AM
3rd Gear Member

Very very nice.

Old 02-07-2013, 12:03 PM
1st Gear Member

A little update, while out in jersey picking up a set of tires for work, the 2.8 started knocking . Barely got it home, felt like the rod was going to fly through the pan. Anyway, the engine and trans is out, and i picked up a short block roller 4 bolt 350 from a friend for 200 bucks. Also got a 700-r4 from him for 150.00. I just finished adding a trans go 2-3 shift kit to it, and its all ready.

I torn down the short block and its currently in the machine shop getting cleaned, freeze out plugs, and cam bearings. They are also polishing the crank. Should have it back by saturday. Got a new set of crank and rod bearings, and picked up an xtreme energy 276-hr cam. Going with a 750 cfm carb and aluminum heads. Hope to have it up and running by summer. Just waiting for it to warm up so i can clean and spray the bay to match the car, and drop the fuel tank to remove the in tank pump.

The t-56 is going to have to wait for now, I just want to get her back on the road.

Old 02-08-2013, 06:15 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by mgg4591
So i figured its about time i start a thread on my 86 Camaro before i get further into it. I bought it in the beginning of July this year for 500 bucks not running and sitting for 3 years. I made some progress in the few months I've had it so I'm gonna post what Ive done so far and then add on from there. Hope you enjoy.

The car before i picked her up at the previous owners house.

Picking her up.

At my house.

I popped in a battery and she started right up. Ran very rough and smoked out the tailpipe. After pulling the valve covers, i found some yummy cake mix.

that is a nice car, the color seems to be Teal blue which was my 1982 Camaro call a.

Old 02-08-2013, 06:19 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by mgg4591
Havent been posting frequent updates, but its for a good reason. Been doing a lot of work on the car and havent really had the time. So to bring everything up to date here is a list of everything i have done/installed in the past month with some photos below.

Installed all new JL speakers and a factory headunit with AUX input with amp and subs, plus a sirius sat radio unit. Amped the factory unit with a focal 4 channel amp. Sounds amazing for a 20 year old HU, and no one wants to steal it .

Got my new carpet installed and black plastics and door panels from my previous camaro. Just need a set of black seats, not sure if i want to go 4th gen leather, or racing buckets.

Now for the performance upgrades,

Installed a new set of KYB shocks and mounts.

Almost complete front end, all Moog, inner and outer tie rods, center link, idler arm, sway bar links, new front pads, resurfaced the rotors. Just need the set of tubular A-arms and larger front sway bar, then the front end will be done.

Swapped in a rebuilt steering box from an 87 WS6 trans am, along with an Astro van steering shaft to eliminate the loose rag joint.- great upgrade that makes a huge difference.

In the rear i swapped in the 4th gen POSI rear i had bought for the other camaro, as well as 4th gen rear disk brakes. Just need a set of parking brake cables. Sits out about 2 inches more on each side, so i had to roll the inner quarter due to rubbing. Next set of rims i get are gonna be backspaced so they fit back inside the quarter. Doesn't look bad though.

4th gen rear:

Original rear:

Brakes:

And this morning i installed a set of eibach pro kit springs. Huge improvement in stance and handling over the 27 year old v6 springs. Even though they are v8 springs, the height is still slightly lower than stock, and the handling is greatly improved. Once i swap in the v8/t-56 the height will drop some more.

Before:

After:

So thats where I am at right now. Aside from that i just started cleaning up the engine bay. I eliminated the A/C compressor and lines, as well as the washer bottle and evap canister. Im going to install a 4th gen washer bottle out of sight, as well as a 4th gen coolant bottle under the battery tray.

Hope have a set of subframe connectors installed soon as well as spohn front and rear sway bars. The drive train swap will begin in the spring when i get my tax return. I turned away from the ls1 swap, as i feel i can get a lot more power for the same amount of money if i go a different route, but i wont give away the surprise. Going to try to update regularly, if you dont hear from me, i probably didnt get any more work done.- starting to snow over here...
Nice job, it is snowing hard here now too.

Old 02-17-2013, 06:02 PM
1st Gear Member

Got the block and the crank back. Crank is within spec for standard bearings, and the block came out great. Here it is after paint:

Crank

Old 02-20-2013, 07:10 PM
1st Gear Member

Just finished de-glazing the cylinders with the flex hone. Got some nice cross hatch.

Old 02-26-2013, 05:23 PM
1st Gear Member

Got the engine on the stand so the work can begin. Picked up a gallon of chem-dip from autozone to clean all the pistons up. Works awesome, let them soak overnight , and they look like new. Also installed a set of sealed power moly rings. All the ring gaps were perfect.

Got my ARP main bolts and rear main seal today. Main bearings should be coming tomorrow, so i should be able to start putting the bottom end together.

Old 02-27-2013, 12:55 PM
In the Staging Lanes

It is good to see someone restoring a third generation Camaro what do you use as a min still that you are showing.

Quick Reply: My 86 Sport coupe project thread.