My 86 Sport coupe project thread.

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2011, 11:07 PM
1st Gear Member
Default My 86 Sport coupe project thread.

So i figured its about time i start a thread on my 86 Camaro before i get further into it. I bought it in the beginning of July this year for 500 bucks not running and sitting for 3 years. I made some progress in the few months I've had it so I'm gonna post what Ive done so far and then add on from there. Hope you enjoy.

The car before i picked her up at the previous owners house.

Picking her up.

At my house.

I popped in a battery and she started right up. Ran very rough and smoked out the tailpipe. After pulling the valve covers, i found some yummy cake mix.

Old 09-11-2011, 07:41 AM
Banned
Location: Raised in Tilton NH now residing in Kings Mountain KY

Great deal. How's the interior?

Old 09-11-2011, 09:31 AM
1st Gear Member

All the interior needs is a headliner and a very small tear stitched up on the bolster seam of the drivers seat. The dash isn't cracked nor any of the plastic pieces.

Old 09-11-2011, 05:56 PM
1st Gear Member

The engine spun a bearing a few weeks ago and since then i started to pull it to swap in a 350. I got the engine out and the front end mostly disassembled for rust removal and paint/undercoating. The battery tray had it the worst, but i ordered an OER replacement tray that should come sometime next week. The lower radiator support also had some rust, so i ground it down and put on a few coats of rustoleum. Im gonna hit it with rubberized undercoating after the rest of the bay is clean and ready for paint.

This was done today:

I just have to re-weld the end pieces where the lower support meets the rest of the frame on both sides. I also had to cut out some of the passenger side frame behind the headlight as it was just eaten away. I'm gonna weld in a piece of sheet metal, then re-cut the circle for the headlight wiring.

Old 09-11-2011, 10:12 PM
1st Gear Member

When i pulled the 305 i started rebuilding the 700. When i took it apart everything was alright except both the accumulator springs were broken. I bought a rebuild kit with alto clutches and new steels. Swapped in a corvette servo with a trans-go jr. shift kit, and .500 boost valve. Here are some pics from pull to finish. I'm bringing it to school tomorrow to throw on their trans dyno.

Fresh coat of Chevy orange.

All finished.

Old 09-21-2011, 09:07 PM
1st Gear Member

Put the trans on the dyno and it worked perfectly. Now i need to rent a truck so i can pick up the 350 that i am going to start building. In the meantime prepping the engine bay for paint.

Old 09-22-2011, 09:05 AM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mgg4591
Put the trans on the dyno and it worked perfectly. Now i need to rent a truck so i can pick up the 350 that i am going to start building. In the meantime prepping the engine bay for paint.

it's a project of passion and you're going about it the right way.

Old 09-22-2011, 07:00 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by torque_is_good
it's a project of passion and you're going about it the right way.
Thanks, i got the new battery tray welded in and the engine bay cleaned today. I started priming it, but i ran out of paint. Gonna pick up some more primer up tomorrow.

Old 09-22-2011, 08:41 PM
4th Gear Member

you're spraying it outside???

When i did mine, I used the garage and still got freakin bugs in the paint.

What are you using? I tried an HVLP turbine for the first time and was surprised at how well it worked. The guns cost more and you need to thin the material more than with a compressor.

Old 09-23-2011, 05:42 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by torque_is_good
you're spraying it outside???

When i did mine, I used the garage and still got freakin bugs in the paint.

What are you using? I tried an HVLP turbine for the first time and was surprised at how well it worked. The guns cost more and you need to thin the material more than with a compressor.
I just used some rattle cans of rustoleum for the primer. I'm gonna put up a tent when i do the actual paint being i don't have a garage. I had mosquitos flying around me before i started, but when i began spraying they all died from the fumes. No bugs in the primer coat though.

Quick Reply: My 86 Sport coupe project thread.