My 86 Sport coupe project thread.

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2012, 06:41 PM
1st Gear Member

My lower driver quarter panel came in today, so i got that welded in. Gonna start grinding and filling tomorrow. Hit it with a quick prime coat so it doesn't rust from any dampness. If anyone is interested i bought the section from rickscamaros. Came out to 50 bucks shipped.

Old 06-06-2012, 12:01 AM
3rd Gear Member

Good work bro. its Comming along nicely.

Old 06-16-2012, 08:01 PM
1st Gear Member

Got some more body work done today after work. The bay is now epoxy primed, and the lower rear quarter patch is just about done. Just have to guide coat and block sand. I got two back to back days off next week, and there is no rain in site. I hope to get the body epoxy primed next, then lay down a few coats of high build to start block-sanding imperfections.

Im going to spray the primer outside, then setup a make shift booth out of a car tent when it comes time for base/clear. The primer is getting block sanded anyway, so i wont really matter if little bits of dust and bugs get caught in it. The epoxy started to dry very quick, so nothing got caught in it anyway.

Old 06-27-2012, 10:13 PM
1st Gear Member

Well not much going on, still just boring body work... Picked up a set of factory fenders off craigslist for 100 bucks, plus a set of grid tailights. I now have all the body components, just have to finish the prep work before paint. Here is how she sits now:

Old 08-14-2012, 07:45 AM
3rd Gear Member

You who work outside have a special place in my heart. I did that for many more years than I will admit. Makes you appreciate one's shop when we get one.

Old 10-16-2012, 07:30 PM
1st Gear Member

Well its been a while since i posted an update. Unfortunately the car is gone. Apparently a neighbor called up the city about the work i was doing and it was considered a zoning violation. The car was in pieces and i didn't have the money to get it back together to move it, so i had to get rid of it. I removed all the parts and interior from it, leaving only the bare metal shell on the ground. This is all that was left when i had the wrecker come pick it up:

Although that car is gone, the project will continue. I still have plans for an LS1/T56 swap, and i bought a nearly identical car last week.

1986 2.8 sport coupe, 84,000 original miles.

This project is going to be done with the car always on the road. She has plates and im driving her almost everyday. The body is solid with no major dents and almost no rust. I have some parts coming in this week, so ill keep the project going with updates.

So far on the 2.8 i changed the timing chain, radiator hoses, oil pan gasket, and exhaust. Even though the v6 is going to be swapped later, i want it to stay reliable as i will continue to drive it until then. I also put on the set of gta rims i picked up for the other car.

Old 10-17-2012, 07:24 AM
3rd Gear Member

Very very nice, the other body didn't look to bad either. Good luck on this one and you are hanging in there.

Old 10-17-2012, 07:41 AM
4th Gear Member

Wow. Why must people do stuff like this? It's your yard, not theirs, so it's none of their business. Now, if you were building a meth lab that'd be different but no, all you were doing was restoring a neglected car back to it's glory. People like that **** me off.

It's nice to see you still got a hold of another car, just kinda sucks because it seemed like you had a lot money in the old one and we all know how much time was in it....

Old 10-17-2012, 09:35 AM
April 2012 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

That sucks alot man to put all that effort in the old one and have to scrap it. At least you got another one. GL with the new one

Old 10-17-2012, 08:29 PM
1st Gear Member

I was off today so i spent the day wet-sanding and buffing thew whole car to remove the haze from the clear coat. Came out really good considering its original paint from 86.

Before:

After:

Ordered a set of KYB shocks, which should be here sometime next week. After that im gonna pick up a set of eibachs to lower it.

Quick Reply: My 86 Sport coupe project thread.