spark, fuel, non start

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2009, 11:49 AM
Default spark, fuel, non start

Hello all, hope someone can help. 1987 camaro 5.7 v8. Non start. Getting a (what I would call) weak spark. Customer's car with god knows how many spanner monkeys looking at it with their own views. They have changed spark plugs, leads, and dizzy cap (without noting firing order - so first suspect). Told by AA that fuel pump is US...... de-pressurize rail... fuel comes out so doubt this. few questions to diagnose as I am usual Brit Crap Mech. Firing order... looking at front of engine from the bumper No.1 cylinder is on right hand side? right? Got note of firing order. Does this car have CPS? I guess with it being Injection, then it will have. Where is CPS and how to test. Does british noid light detectors cover the camaro? Spraying 'easy start' (ohh ohh... not another haynes mech!!!!) has no effect. I would have thought that if spark available then easy would at least kick, but nothing. I put it down to coil pack. any ideas on testing? All replies to any or all questions on this thread would be greatly appreciated.Even if it is a comment like ' put the spanner down and slowly walk away from the car'... lol.

Old 07-14-2009, 11:03 AM

Just in case anyone's looking and listening... found solution. I said that dizzy cap had been replaced.. well move leads one position advance and guess what... fires!!! woo hoo!!. Okay, so now she's running rough... wanna try advance / retard timing on distributor, no 'customer's reasoning suggests that timing was adjusted or touched, but then again 'customer's reasoning said that it was a fuel problem.. so will try that tomorrow. And again, customer said that he knew the timing was spot on.... hmmmm , spanner monkeys..... doubts. So that's the start of curing this problem... does anyone know how to get tippex out of a leather seat??? without damaging the seat?... worth an ask I guess.

Old 07-14-2009, 11:38 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Spanner monkeys, haven't heard that term this side of the pond! We call it grease monkeys.
But that's probably because we don't have spanners, we have open end wrenches!!
That's ironic too, someone made a mistake with correction fluid!
Have you tried applying the stuff on something else not so important, and seeing what will loosen it?
I've actually cleaned stubborn dirty leather seats with.....brake cleaner. Yep, it worked much much better than leather cleaner. Just be sure to test in a spot that doesn't show, and follow up right away with a leather conditioner to keep it from drying out.

Last edited by Camaro 69; 07-14-2009 at 11:41 AM.
Old 07-19-2009, 03:09 AM
Default spark fuel non start

eh... it could be the fuel pump...but it would start up eventually unless it just gave up.
maybe fuel filter is clogged...or like he said up above check the ecu.