problem w/ either computer or throttle positioning sensor

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2006, 09:46 PM
Default problem w/ either computer or throttle positioning sensor

hey guys, just wanted to see what y'alls opinions were on a problem im having. I'm running a 305 TPI engine with a m.a.p. system out of an 85 ralley sport camaro in my 82 jeep cj-7. now w/ the tpi system when you turn the key on, all the injectors should pulse once to get enough fuel in the chambers for start up. mine isnt doing that on a consistent basis. so its pretty hit or miss if its gonna fire or i have to break out the eather. just wanted see if this sounds like a problem with the computer (the engine is a rebuild out of a junk yard) or if it sounds like a problem w/ the throttle position sensor. i know it may be hard to pin-point the problem from just my description. if you guys can think of a way i can test out the problem w/ out having to buy each of the parts and seeing which one fixes the problem that would be a huge help. thanks for the help, i cant wait to get this thing up and running again. anything that can suck a stock jeep driveshaft completely out of the transmission and twist it into a pretzel is almost too much fun. (if i can find a pic of the shaft, ill put it up in my next post)

Old 05-07-2006, 11:30 PM
Tech Droid
Default RE: problem w/ either computer or throttle positioning sensor

Check the fuel pressure at the fuel rail. Should be at 40-45 PSI with the key in the on position and engine stopped. If OK check the fuel pressure regulator.ressure should drop around 10 PSI wit the engine idling. Check the TPS with an Ohm meter and make sure there are no dead spots. Check the Engine Coolant Temp sensor, it will confuse the PCM if it gives the wrong temperature. Did you install the check engine lite? You may want to scan for codes.

Old 05-08-2006, 11:12 AM
Default RE: problem w/ either computer or throttle positioning sensor

yea we went through those tests. we have the proper fuel pressure and what not. the thing is the noid lights on the injectors aren't all turning on at start up indicating the lack of fuel being injected. sometimes they all spray, but its very irradic. i knew i should have gone carb. anyway, thanks for the help so far.