no OD or TCC lockup

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2010, 06:05 AM
Overdrive Member

The TCC should also work if the tranny is in D mode. When in OD then it only engauges when you are in 4th, but in D is should engauge in 3rd. THE TV cable not being adjusted correctly will cause TCC issues, and a sitting tranny can easily cause missing gears. It has been a long time since I have been inside a TH700 but I do not remember 2nd and 4th being on the same planetary. Same valve I think but not the same planetary. I would service the trans and see if there is any debris or corrosion in the valve body, Clean as needed.

Ajusting the TV cable I always used this method with good results. At WOT the cable should be pulled all the way out with about 1/8 inch of play. That works good for TH 200, 200R4, 350 and 700 Trannys.

Hope this all helps.

Massey

Old 10-31-2010, 06:52 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

how many wires on your plugin? sounds electrical to me if its not locking. should lock in third. mine (5 wire) has ability to lock in second but wont. still lookin at if i would want it to. i like it locking it 3rd but a late 4th lock works to. what tune you have? have you tried counting the shifts, lock feels like another upshift.

Old 10-31-2010, 04:46 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

There is a 2-4 band, otherwise well known builders wouldn't be selling them since there wouldn't be much of a market for it: http://www.transmissioncenter.org/70...List.htm#Bands
As far as the lockup is concerned, it's hard to make a "blanket" statement on when it should happen. Here's what I've known to believe:
Early 700R4's control system was more primitive, and would only lock up in 4th gear.
Later ones would lock up in 3rd or 4th, with a momentary unlock happening during the 3-4 shifts. (it's not good for the tcc to go beating on it while it's locked up).
The latest 700's (with VSS control) would lock up in any gear 2nd and above, and depending on what speed the car was going.
If someone knows what cut-off years those different functions fall into, then great (hint: we already know VSS is 1990 and newer).

Old 10-31-2010, 07:00 PM
March 2011 ROTM
Technical User
ROTM Winner's Club

as of now, i am getting 4th gear, but only after about 60 mph. otherwise keeping it in drive, it just feels like its in nuetral if i let off below 40 mph. i think i need to adjust the tv cable out a bit, its shifting a bit late out of first, but 2-3 is good, but 3-4 is late as well. still no tcc lockup. i havent investeigated the wiring on the trans. i know there is one going down to the trans from the main harness on the firewall. could be something in that plug. after driving her again, memory serves correct, she never had tcc lock up. i know how it feels though with my blazer

Old 10-31-2010, 07:22 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

best i can figure it depends on number of wires on the trany, 4 wire locks 3rd and 4th. 5 wire has a wire for locking 2nd 3rd and 4th. i didnt find anything with yrs on it except (5 wire) mine, 93 only.

Old 10-31-2010, 07:31 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

yah i would think 1 wire would be lock 4th only seems like there was some with a vacuum to. the way mine is the tighter the tv cable the sooner it downshifts.

Old 10-31-2010, 07:37 PM
March 2011 ROTM
Technical User
ROTM Winner's Club

i never actually looked in the looming to see how many wires there were. ill take a look when im under it assembling a y-pipe. it could also have been the shift kit the po had installed while it was rebuilt. looking around, i see that some dont allow for tcc lockup. even though i jumped the aldl before, it would still be blocked. im going to loosen the tv cable one click and see what happens

Old 10-31-2010, 08:59 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

craby, the ones with the vacuum control were in the very beginning of the 700 (the less sophisticated ones I mentioned). And for some reason, the models with a 4 prong plug, only have 3 wires.
micro, did you replace the TV cable with a new one yet? And are you getting a harder 1-2 shift, which would indicate the cable is set too tight.

Old 11-01-2010, 07:20 PM
March 2011 ROTM
Technical User
ROTM Winner's Club

yes, i replaced the cable. i tried to adjust it out one more click, but i couldnt at the time. ill try it tomorrow. i think one more click and it should be where it needs to be. as for tcc lockup, thats still another thing on its own

Old 11-01-2010, 08:54 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Have you checked for any error codes, whether or not your SES light is on?
Having a stored error code can have a bearing on the lockup function of the t.c.

Quick Reply: no OD or TCC lockup