no OD or TCC lockup

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2010, 07:10 PM
March 2011 ROTM
Technical User
ROTM Winner's Club
Default no OD or TCC lockup

alright still trying to work the bugs out on my car. i messed around with the tv cable to no avail. it shifts out of first around 20, out of second around 35, but isnt going into od or locking the tcc. the trans worked fine 3 years ago when i parked it, however i dont think the tcc worked at that point, but im not positive. it did however have od. could an incorrect tv cable cause this? maybe something inside the trans is stuck from sitting for so long? the shifts themselves feel good, firm. the converter is for lock up function.

also, when replacing the tv cable, there is the little rod with a 90* bend in it. that goes into the hole on the cable. is there anything else in there? mine sorta fell apart during disassembly and didnt get to look first

Old 10-29-2010, 07:19 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

"The little rod"? Are you talking about the throttle valve wire hook linkage in the trans that the cable connects to? Have you tried pulling on the cable up top to see if you feel resistance, to know it's connected down below?

Old 10-29-2010, 08:38 PM
March 2011 ROTM
Technical User
ROTM Winner's Club

yep, that peice. pulling on it gives resistance, its the same tension after replacing the cable as it was before. is there anything else in that area besides the rod? my manuals dont have any info on this subject

Old 10-29-2010, 10:07 PM
August 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

The TCC is electronically controlled, but OD is still hydraulic. I would be looking at a valve body issue personally, and possibly an electrical issue for the TCC.

Last edited by Jr. Mechanic; 10-29-2010 at 11:58 PM.
Old 10-29-2010, 11:11 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

^ Boy Jr. I'm surprised at you (I've been waiting to use that one)
The TCC doesn't lock up unless the trans is in OD. So no OD would naturally prevent lockup.
But yeah, I'm thinking a possible valve body issue too.

Old 10-29-2010, 11:57 PM
August 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by Camaro 69
^ Boy Jr. I'm surprised at you (I've been waiting to use that one)
The TCC doesn't lock up unless the trans is in OD. So no OD would naturally prevent lockup.
But yeah, I'm thinking a possible valve body issue too.
Naturally. Casey said in his original post that he didn't think the TCC was functioning with the old engine, which would point towards an electrical issue. Now, he doesn't have OD.

Since he doesn't think lock up was operating before, there's a good chance that the lack of OD and lock up are unrelated issues.

There IS a possibility that there is only a problem with OD, in which case would prevent TCC engagement.

My answer was based on the assumption that the TCC was inoperable before the 305 blew up.

So try again old man, you don't have me yet

Old 10-30-2010, 01:02 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Maybe I do have you, maybe I don't....sonny.
He did say "i dont think the tcc worked at that point, but im not positive".
I'm curious what was making him think it wasn't locking up before?
I can't feel or tell when mine is locking up, if that's the criteria he was following.
And basing an assumption off another assumption can presumably result in a watered down diagnosis. At least, I would assume so!

Old 10-30-2010, 01:11 PM
August 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by Camaro 69
Maybe I do have you, maybe I don't....sonny.
He did say "i dont think the tcc worked at that point, but im not positive".
I'm curious what was making him think it wasn't locking up before?
I can't feel or tell when mine is locking up, if that's the criteria he was following.
And basing an assumption off another assumption can presumably result in a watered down diagnosis. At least, I would assume so!
That's why I said possibly an electrical issue, after I said a valve body issue for overdrive

Old 10-30-2010, 03:08 PM
March 2011 ROTM
Technical User
ROTM Winner's Club

i couldnt feel the tcc lockup back when i was still driving it. it would stay at 1550 rpms at 55 mph, but would raise rpms if i gassed it slightly. i had jumped the aldl to force converter lockup then, but with no results. the trans was rebuilt a year prior to me purchasing the car, and only had about 5k miles. i figured it was just an incorrect converter installed. right now, the tv cable bracket is rigged becuase advance auto sold me the wrong part and i hacked it up to make it work. i have the correct one now and will install that tomorrow while i have the intake off to redo the gaskets. i do remember a few months after parking the car that there was a bit of rust on the dipstick, but didnt come back after cleaning off. could it be a valve stuck?

Old 10-30-2010, 03:32 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Gee I dunno, maybe you outta ax Jr. (he likes when I pick on him)!
Seriously though, I would first get the right TV cable on & adjusted and see what happens from there. If the trans is falsely being told by the TV that you're at WOT, it won't shift into 4th.
Also, 2nd and 4th gear lock in via the 2-4 band, so if 2nd gear works, that at least wouldn't be your problem.

Quick Reply: no OD or TCC lockup