My IROC-Z Transformation

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2011, 11:25 PM

Awesome work man, Great documentation! This is the stuff that helps newbies

Old 08-18-2011, 03:11 PM
1st Gear Member

Thanks! If any newbies had any questions i'd love to help as best I can, though I think there are others here that are far more knowledgable than I!

Old 08-30-2011, 11:49 PM
1st Gear Member

Well obviously it's been a while since I've updated at all.

Since the completion of the swap, it hasn't been perfect - and I'm about to tell you why.

So if you look a few pages back I said I thought the trans leak was coming from the dipstick tube where it connects to the tranny.

Well after a lot of time wasted, I found out it was coming from the Detent cable where it connects to the trans.

Long story short, I finally got it back together, let it sit over night on jack stands, and the next morning... it was still ever so slightly leaking.

Honestly, I am tired of this sh*t. I'm pretty done with working on this car for a while, in between getting it emissions compliant (haven't taken it in for the second test yet) and this problem, I'm broke, wore out, and just beat by it. My dad is too, we still have both of his Vette engines to rebuild, and he's ready to call my car good and do his ****, and I don't blame him.

This is more *****ing than it is an update, but meh. I just want to say I have a newfound hate for automatics. Maybe it's silly, melodramatic, etc. But I really, really don't like them. I wish my car was one that was a 305 and a stick, but alas, it was not.

That's all for now. Hopefully I can get the car legal, not leaking all the damn time, and actually enjoy it, TOTALLY care free. I'll be taking some more videos and pictures then, too.

Old 08-31-2011, 10:53 AM
3rd Gear Member

What you are experiencing is really not that bad of an issue. Leaks will happen, especially if old, or incorrect parts are used. For example, I have been battling a trans leak for over a year. I've changed gaskets...no change. Its only a small amount, maybe a cap full a week, but after the last time I had the pan off, I checked and that nice shiny chrome isn't square...I guess the old saying of chrome don't get you home applies. I've ordered a cast aluminum pan and that will solve it. Between doing speedo gear changes, and governor calibrations I've probobly put over 3 gallons of fluid back into a trans that only has about 500 miles on it. Emissions tests are tough. It took me three tries to get through last year, and I'm up for renewal this month. I hope to nail it first time, but I'm sure it will take me twice. This is the price we pay for doing these swaps/restos.

You need to carefully examine your test results and see where you are failing. Is it idle or loaded tests? Keep in mind you car must pass emissions for the motor/year it had originally. I was fortunate in that my 305 was carb'd and therefore had a lower standard than a TPI car. It is doable though. As far as your trans leak, it is the TV cable connection that is leaking. Make sure that the connecting end isn't worn out or installed off kilter. This should be an easy fix. The issue is that these cars leave very little of the trans exposed and unless you have a lift, it makes anything that much tougher. Also, make sure that cable is adjusted correctly, or your trans leaking won't be an issue after it melts down due to low line pressure.

Old 09-01-2011, 09:27 PM
1st Gear Member

Yeah, true. I am feeling better about after spending some time away from it. It was just building up on my nerves. I know what you mean, though. A lot worse things could have happened. I too wish I didn't have to spend so much money in my attempts to fix it, lol.

I think I can pass emissions. It was just yet another thing to add to my list. We shall see here soon.