My IROC-Z Transformation

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2011, 02:30 AM
1st Gear Member

Update!

Yesterday was the day. I started her up, and even with a slight hiccup at first, it went well! All I had to do was adjust the fuel pressure, and viola, she was running like a champ! Didn't get to time her though, I have to remake the adapter piece for my dad's old fashioned timing light since I can't use a digital timer with the MSD system. But next Monday I'll be driving her around, breaking her in!

Pics!

More pictures will come once I put the hood back on, and start driving it. Then hopefully in the coming weeks... my first video!

Old 06-01-2011, 06:08 PM
March 2011 ROTM
Technical User
ROTM Winner's Club

make sure you get some sound clips. and i like anyone who sticks with factory efi. it isnt the best option, but it takes some time, paitence, and money to modify. and its a lot cooler looking than a carb

Old 06-01-2011, 06:19 PM
1st Gear Member

Haha well thanks Microkid. I have always loved the look of this engine, and obviously the only changes I really made were updating it for this century and painting it black, lol.

And as for sound clips, how could I leave you guys out on the best part!

Old 06-01-2011, 06:55 PM
March 2011 ROTM
Technical User
ROTM Winner's Club
Old 06-01-2011, 11:00 PM
1st Gear Member

That sounds so ratty. I like it.

Old 06-02-2011, 05:42 PM
March 2011 ROTM
Technical User
ROTM Winner's Club

just a bit of a healthy cam, moderate compression, and a really short glasspack

Old 06-07-2011, 01:06 AM
1st Gear Member

Big update, though lacking pictures as of yet.

I am so satisfied with my Camaro right now.

Now that I had the proper tools to time it with, today was the real cherry-popping moment. I set the static timing, checked for leaks, and drove her for a little over an hour to break her in. Amazingly, the trans shifted fine (was worried about the TV cable).

The only, and I mean only problem out of this whole ordeal is that there is a very slow drip coming from where the tranny dipstick tube locates in the Transmission itself. It may be a ***** to get right, but I'm not complaining. No problems with the actual engine! Ain't that a hell of a thing.

I haven't even had her past 4000 rpm yet, but I was getting close to 80mph. In 2nd gear.

Me = excite.

I'm curious, anyone have this problem with the dipstick fill tube, though?

At any rate, I'm still unsure if today was better than sex or not. Seriously not positive yet.

Old 06-07-2011, 02:09 AM
2nd Gear member

Probably the O-Ring. Put a new 1 on with vaseline and make sure tube is in all the way and straight in the hole.

Old 06-07-2011, 02:26 AM
1st Gear Member

Well the O ring certainly isn't new, but I am suspecting that the tube isn't in all the way. It just doesn't seem right, even though I can't force it in any farther down.

I'll go ahead and replace the ring and mess with it in the coming days, hopefully it won't be a big mess. That damn tube was hard to get in properly, took two people. Thanks for the reply though!

Old 06-07-2011, 12:09 PM

WOW!!!! These are are by far my favorite F bodies of all time and what you have done is very impressive and inspiring. Keep up the good work. The only request that have from here out would be that you put a little more descriptions on each picture.

Quick Reply: My IROC-Z Transformation