My IROC-Z Transformation

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2011, 12:32 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by microkid
the question about the prom vs. chip. who are you having make the chip? i was able to reuse the prom chip for my car as it is a piggy back to the chip that is currently in my car. i used PCMforless.com to make my chip. its runs nearly flawlessly. as for selecting injectors, 24 is about right. now with those larger injectors, you will need a tune for it to run correctly, even if you got a 350 prom. pcmforless can take care of all of that. btw, im running 36lb injectors
I called up TPiS, Inc. a while back before I even had the motor out, and later they said they could make the chip for me, too.

Old 04-07-2011, 07:08 PM
March 2011 ROTM
Technical User
ROTM Winner's Club

they can as well. i went with pcmforless because quite a few people here used them, and they were very helpful and knowledgable pertaining to my questions

Old 04-11-2011, 02:37 PM

Speaking from my novice perspective, I enjoyed and learned from this well written story! I am stepping into a league of extraordinary enthusiast so to speak and this was an enlightening and intruiging story man! I assume I must prepare myself for such ventures! Can and can't wait! Lol

Old 04-11-2011, 09:10 PM
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by HorizoN
Yeah, I mean, I got lucky and I can just transfer over the mounts and pulleys from the original motor, but sensors and coolant are expensive when you have to buy a lot.

Have you had experience with a leak on something like this? I don't think a leak was that probable if we did it right, but now I'm thinking twice.
Well, if you are on a budget you may want to stick with the compression fitting route, but as mentioned, be sure to check them frequently. Ive never had them leak on a tranny fitting, but Im sure others have.

Funny how everyone mentions the added cost of pulleys, fluids, etc....I always tell people to budget at least 30% over their cost estimate of a job , and this still seems to fall short!

Old 04-12-2011, 08:18 AM
3rd Gear Member

I thought I had a well laid out budget to start with, but the problem for me, was that I was getting things left and right.....headers, motor, motor mounts, brakes, headliner, t-top seals.....etc I just started hoarding parts rather than work it one section at a time. So, when it came time for the install of the motor I hadn't planned on sending units, oil, coolant, trans fluid, belts, etc.. I had the money, it was just I didn't plan correctly. Now that the car is finished and I have a new project, my planning is way better.

Old 04-14-2011, 10:33 PM
1st Gear Member

Well, I decided to not buy new lines. I looked it over and I doubt a leak will happen. I will certainly be checking those points very often though, just in case.

Anyway, I've gotten a lot finished since I last posted. Tranny is in, with it's dipstick. That was a slight pain, but not TOO bad. Torque arm re-attached, drive-line in, sensors reinstalled, headers bolted down, mounting hardware for the A/C compressor, AIR pump, Alternator, and Power Steering pump are mounted, along with a lot of what I just listed. Some other minor things done, and right now, I just have to attack the intake, really. There's a good amount of rewiring I have to do near the battery, as someone relocated the solenoid to there, and it's a little confusing at the moment.

Old 05-06-2011, 08:42 PM
1st Gear Member

It's been a long while since an update, but I've been trying to get a lot of time in on the car between work, social life, and a list of other things.

It's damn near literally just a handful of pieces away from firing her up. Cam, lifters, pushrods, and rockers got the pre-start up lube the other day, and today I torqued down the intake manifold bolts. Serpintine belt is on, fan and radiator is in and ready to go. Exhaust, headers, y-pipe, all of it is locked in and perfect, and that took a little hassling, as it didn't quite line up, had to be moved, etc. But that's all done.

Really, I have about 3 more days of time before I go back to working long shifts, and the only major parts left is simply the upper intake stuff and the distributor. There may be a few hiccups yet (IAC valve being one, possibly, and finding a place for my MSD box being another), but the only time limiting factor is to be the PROM, because I have to wait for it to come in the mail.

When it's altogether, I will be sure to take many, many pictures.

Old 05-10-2011, 03:32 PM
1st Gear Member

Actually took some pictures the other day to give you guys an idea of what it's gonna look like.

Old 05-10-2011, 07:01 PM
March 2011 ROTM
Technical User
ROTM Winner's Club

wow, thats really clean. what did you use to clean everything with?

Old 05-10-2011, 07:06 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by microkid
wow, thats really clean. what did you use to clean everything with?
Hey, thanks! Hah.

Well the crate engine is brand new, so obviously that helps a lot to be pleasing to the eye.

But I bought a lot of new emissions and heater hoses that you see there. Any ones I didn't buy new I cleaned up with degreaser and water or dish soap, actually.

When the motor was out, I used heavy degreaser liquid and scrubbed the **** out of it. Then I painted a lot of ugly stuff black, so the firewall looks great from above now.

The mounting plates that the P/S and A/C sit on were terribly dirty. I had to use gasoline to clean them, and in some of the crevices it didn't get completely clean, but it made a big difference.

And lastly all the convoluted tubing got replaced, and it made a HUGE difference imho.

But yeah, a lot of elbow grease, know what I mean?

Quick Reply: My IROC-Z Transformation