heater core replacement

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2006 | 12:30 AM
In the Staging Lanes
Default RE: heater core replacement

350... I guess you could try and find a used core. Here are some of the reasons why I wouldn't go thru the trouble.

1. You have try and FIND one that fits.
a. Means a trip to the junkyard
b. Remove said core (which means you have really done the job twice. Once to remove the bad one, once to remove 'good' one, and then install.)
c. Hope the core is good, if it isn't, you're doing it again.
2. Then you have to fab it in, cause in reality reason 1 won't fit perfectly.

All these things to consider will take time, more time than I would want to spend. Keeping in mind your a student and money is an issue, it would seem you could use all that time spent on schoolwork, or a few extra hours at work just to buy a new core.

As far as the actually replacement. I took out screws all over the dash. I did both the driver and passenger side. That included the gage cluster. I also moved the center console back about 2-4 inches. I tried to take it all the way out but the Ebrake was in the way. The main thing you are trying to do is to make the dash so it can be pulled out enough on the passenger side so you could move the Computer box and gain access to the 4 magic screws that hold the heater box cover in place. Remove those 4 magic screws and the cover comes off to expose the core. There are 2 more screw that hold the core assembly in place. Notice I said assembly, the core is attached to plactic frame. This all comes out together. You can take the core off the frame once you get it all out. I'm assuming that the hoses at this point are already off. I didn't drain any coolant, it must have been that low. Once I had the hoses off I just kept them up.

When I was doing this I didn't think I was ever going to finish and my dash would forever be floppin around evertime I hit a pebble. It has been a month now and it is solid. Yea this job could take 4,5,6 hours. I did it over a couple days. Now that I have done it, it's not so bad.

Good Luck, I think any guy who can turn a wrench could do this. Just be patient.

Todd

Old 09-11-2006 | 01:06 PM
|
March 2008 ROTM

Well, there is still the fact that im a student, so i spend time in school a lot, i STILL work around 35 to 40 hours a week, AND i have a girlfriend that i have to keep happy. Its kinda a packed time right now. So i think im gona go ahead and have that guy at least HELP me since he knows exactly what to do. I wont have to spend that much extra time looking in manuals or around the dash for extra screws and what not.

Old 09-11-2006 | 01:28 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Yea I think you would be ahead to just install a new one. It will fit. It better not leak and help from your friend, it will go pretty quick.

Old 09-11-2006 | 10:04 PM
|
March 2008 ROTM

Yea, plus he works at auto zone, so i can get it a little cheaper still. But i may try to get a little better quality part so i DONT ever have to do that AGAIN!