front coil spring replacement

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2006, 10:52 PM
Default front coil spring replacement

Hello, New to the forum, and I need some help
I feel like an idiot...
I am replacing the front springs on the car. I got them out o.k. I pulled the front a-arms out, replaced the bushigs with poly ones and now want to put it all back together. The arms are back in, but I can't get the springs in?
(I am using a center style spring compressor).
When I go to instal the spring these are the problems that I am experiencing.
If I seat the top of the spring into its cup and hold it in position, then when I pull the lower a-arm into place the spring doesn't come to rest in its proper position (the indexing of the spring between the two holes, instead it rests half way out of its pocket) and
when I place the spring in the a-arm indexed (sp?) correctly and pull the a-am and spring up (together) - the top of the spring doesn't seat itself into its top pocket. If I try to man-handle it with force, or use a jack to push up on the a-arm I can't move the bloody spring into place any more...
I have compressed the spring a pile of times in different places with no luck. I have torque the compressor to the point that I can't turn the threaded centre anymore - I'm not even sure if that was safe for the spring? Am I not compressing the spring enough? Is there a trick to instaling coils on a thirdgen?
Any one else know what I might do
Thanks