Dropping the tank in an 86 w/ flowmaster

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2007, 09:40 PM
Default Dropping the tank in an 86 w/ flowmaster

So, I'm kind of new here; recently started working on an 86 RS I picked up last fall.

I've got a somewhat unusual plan, I guess. I'm completely removing all things gasoline from the car and replacing it with a LPG (liquid propane gas) system.

Because the tank is basically in the big hump in the trunk and not under the trunk, I would like to try to get the propane tank in where the gast tank was.

The problem is that the car has dual flowmaster pipes installed which basically prevent me from getting at the tank - the only way (as far as I can tell) to get the tank out would be to CUT the exhaust pipe, so I can remove the tail pipes.

Any suggestions? I haven't torn up the carpet inside on the 'hump' yet to see if there's a way of getting the tank out through the top, but I can't imagine there would be.

Thanks!

Old 05-09-2007, 09:51 PM
NOOO they be stealin' my bucket
ROTM Winner's Club
Default RE: Dropping the tank in an 86 w/ flowmaster

[sm=interesting.gif]Keep us up to date on the project as it progresses im am curies to know how it works out. If the exhaust is ran under or too close to the tank forget it if it cant be removed you will have to cute it. Also there is no way to remove the gas tank from inside the car the tank sits under it and has is totally separated from the trunk. It just kind of hangs there to be truth full. And way to try something different mad props [sm=signs003.gif].

Old 05-09-2007, 10:06 PM

Yeah, there doesn't appear to be any way of getting it out without either cutting the pipe, or removing the rear axle, which I would REALLY rather not attempt to do.

The propane conversion should go smoothly. Basically, you just need a tank (ASME certified), a suitable braided fuel line, a regulator, and a mixer. If it were an automatic, it gets a bit more complicated.

All the parts will cost around $800, and it will run about 70% cleaner, so I might be able to pass emissions (unlike when i tried in the fall ). Power output is about the same, and your engine stays much cleaner as there is far less carbon byproduct from burning propane.

Check this out... http://propaneguy.com/WEIND%20Dual%2...0425%20IMP.jpg

Old 05-10-2007, 01:10 AM
Overdrive Member

You have to lower the rear end. No way around it. But you do not have to remove it or disconnect the brake line. Just the shocks and pan hard rod and allow it to drop down ward while still leaving the control arms bolted on. There is no access through the floor.

Old 05-10-2007, 02:05 AM

Thanks for the tip Mike...

(Mind you, I'm new to this - half the reason I bought the car was to learn)

Where would you suggest I support the chassis when doing this? The rear swing-arms (correct terminology?), or by the frame? Right now she's just on ramps.

Anyone know of a site that diagrams the componentry of the chassis/suspension? I've hot my haynes and chiltons, but they're geared more towards service. It would be nifty if there were a site that has some info so I feel like less of a dumbass when talking about it

Old 05-10-2007, 07:06 AM
NOOO they be stealin' my bucket
ROTM Winner's Club

lol yeah that happens. Get in there and look around its not all that hard only a few bolts. I will post a more precise directions latter on today

Old 05-10-2007, 02:52 PM
Overdrive Member

Suport the body near the control arms. not on them because they need to move to drop the tank. The control arms are the part that tie the body to the rear end. Unbolt the shocks from the rear end. The pan hard rod it a long bar that goes from one side of the rear end up to the opposite side of the body. There is also a torque arm on the rear end that goes along the drive shaft to the tail shaft house on the trans. Leave that on. It. It will allow the rear to drop enough and also give a little support so the rear does not hang completteely from the brake hose. You also need to unbolt the sway bar. It is easier to undo it from the links on each end rather than the clamps on the rear end.