Manual to power steering Help

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2009, 07:12 PM
Default Manual to power steering Help

This is my first post on this forum, and just joined today. I need to know what is the easiest, and cheapest way to convert from manual to power steering, just got laid off.

I just traded a 94 Corvette for a 1970 RS. Some would say I was stupid, or crazy, or both (my wife especially), but others think, including me, the RS is way more fun, and a cooler car.

I know Guru's here got all the answers, and I did do a search, but couldn't find what I was looking for. So here is what I got. It's a 1970 RS. It was a drag car, but kept almost original (body and interior). The cage, bbc, and suspension (frame tied, Global West control arms, Split mono spring with ladder bar in the back were the only modifications. I know "ONLY"! There's a 462 that's in it now, Gen V, but my problem is, it's all billet, alt pulley, crank pulley, electric water pump. It's all serpentine, and I like the look.

I'm sure I have to go with a stock type water pump for street use because of no thermostat with the elec pump, but what I'm getting at is, can I do this, and still use a serpentine belt, and what do I need. What pump, steering box, brackets, etc. I don't care about if there not billet. I just need power steering. I don't care what the parts come off of, just so it works.This thing is a bear to steer, and I'm almost 60.

This is the other problem. There's also a 496 stroker motor with a powerglide included in the deal that is a Gen IV. I'm putting that motor in eventually, and want to know, will everything bolt up from Gen IV to Gen V. Thanks in advance.

Old 10-18-2009, 06:10 PM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

The electric water pump wont be a problem for street use. A water pump is not controlled by the thermostat, as it's always turning regardless of which pump you have. If you don't have a thermostat, just install a thermostat housing and a stat.
As for power steering, that depends on what's been done to the front end. Is it still a stock steering box and steering arm/linkage? If it is, then find a 2nd gen Camaro donor and rob the steering box, and power steering unit off that. You can find V pulley kits to add a V pulley to your seprentine system, and then build a custom mount to line up your pump with the pulley. That should fix your heavy manual steering issue.
Or you can change the pulley on the power steering pump to serpentine, and find a longer belt to run it too.
If it's not factory steering, then we'd need to know what it is, in order to make a reccommendation.

Old 10-18-2009, 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by 1971BB427
The electric water pump wont be a problem for street use. A water pump is not controlled by the thermostat, as it's always turning regardless of which pump you have. If you don't have a thermostat, just install a thermostat housing and a stat.
As for power steering, that depends on what's been done to the front end. Is it still a stock steering box and steering arm/linkage? If it is, then find a 2nd gen Camaro donor and rob the steering box, and power steering unit off that. You can find V pulley kits to add a V pulley to your seprentine system, and then build a custom mount to line up your pump with the pulley. That should fix your heavy manual steering issue.
Or you can change the pulley on the power steering pump to serpentine, and find a longer belt to run it too.
If it's not factory steering, then we'd need to know what it is, in order to make a reccommendation.
Do I have to find a 2nd gen Camaro donor? Will any year work? The front frame is original, tie rods, steering linkage. It just has Global West upper and lower control arms. The box could be original, but I can't tell, it just seems really small for a steering box, with a billet Pittman arm. Could it be a special box just for racing? It's all new from the firewall to the box. It's mounted where the original would be. So I'm guessing, and saying it's original. I just wish I could see what an original manual box looks like. Thanks you've given me some great advice. I haven't figured out how to post pics yet. So as soon as I do I'll put some on.

Old 10-18-2009, 07:39 PM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

It will be easiest if you stick with a 2nd gen Camaro or Firebird donor. Shouldn't be much of a problem finding a 1970-81 Camaro of Firebird steering box and pump to swap in your car. The pump could actually come from any GM car or truck from these years.

Old 10-19-2009, 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by 1971BB427
It will be easiest if you stick with a 2nd gen Camaro or Firebird donor. Shouldn't be much of a problem finding a 1970-81 Camaro of Firebird steering box and pump to swap in your car. The pump could actually come from any GM car or truck from these years.
Thanks. I'm going too two salvage yards today.