81 motor mount removal from frame

Old 09-06-2013, 11:15 PM
Default 81 motor mount removal from frame

I'm brand new, today, to this forum and I'm sure that I can't be the only idiot,I hope, that doesn't know how to remove the motor mounts from the frame of a 81 Camaro, How in the world are you supposed to remove those bolts when you can't even see them or get a wrench on them in the boxed crossmember?

We're putting a big block in and have Moroso mounts to install so my friend that has never ever had a fast car in his life can drag race. It is one item on his bucket list as he has cancer.

My friend bought a 81 Camaro and wanted to fix it up to drag race but he has less mechanical knowledge than I do. So a bunch of us friends stole his car and had a mechanic get it to run. then we took the car to my house and stripped it and got it ready to paint and it was painted by some good fellows that donated their work.
anyway, we got it to the track and the engine blew, bad. None of us has any money to buy or have a motor built so I donated a 396 that I wasn't going to use and that's what we're trying to put in.
I think I heard that we don't have to change mounts but the engine will sit higher, so that's why we are attempting to install the Moroso mounts but not very successful thus far.
any help on this would be very appreciated.

Old 09-07-2013, 11:08 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Having height differences in engine mounts is how the old style (pre-1972) mounts were. You're dealing with a clamshell mount, which are the same. You don't have to change the mounts, unless you want to because the old ones are shot. You need to access the nuts through the opening in the frame near the upper control arm. Try getting in there with a distributor wrench, and try not to drop the nuts inside, or you'll be buying extras. When installing, a dab of Krazy Glue to hold the nut to the wrench will help prevent you from dropping and filling up the inside of the subframe with spare nuts!

Old 09-07-2013, 10:19 PM
Default http://camaroforums.com/forum/70-81-v8-tech-47/81-motor-mount-removal-frame-75348/#po

thanks for the help. After I read your reply I've decided to return the Moroso mounts and use the ones already there, no sense in driving myself crazy and cursing the engineers that designed them.
thanks a lot for your help