So here it goes, my project thread (2nd gen)

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2012, 04:51 AM
Overdrive Member

I would center mine too Jason. Way before I ordered two different offset wheels. My luck and the tire shop would mount the tires on the wrong side.

The fingers groves were deep Vall. Polishing knocked the high spots down. I still need to tweek the top, more for form than function.

Rydeer I think your right. Moving the frame up shouldn't affect the wiper/ hood clearance. Vall, is correct. the frame moved up, not the sheetmetal down. The clearance has been debated too much to even care about. Either it will or won't. I'm running that hood regardless. Pics don't do it justice. i was expecting at least one small pin dent or some slight wave that I would either have to fix or live with. I was wrong. Even in the EDP it looks great.

I spent some time out in the garage tonight mounting my new PS pump with another of Summit's POS brackets. Its on but it took a trip to work to get it working. Pics tomorrow. I don't feel like waiting for them to upload right now.

Oh yeah I got my exhaust today too. B-E-A-utiful.

Old 02-15-2012, 11:42 AM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

I always have trouble with my end mills clogging on my milling machine when running aluminum. My mill doesn't have a lube pump, so I have to keep squirting fluid on the cutter while it mills or it really starts making ugly cuts on aluminum.

Old 02-15-2012, 12:49 PM
Overdrive Member

I was running carbide without any cooling. I could grab the tool or the work right after the machine stopped. For the slot in the end I used a two fluted end mill, they don't clog as easy on aluminum. the notches are a four flute ball 1/2" ball nose. I didn't go deep enough to worry about build up. The rest was a fly cutter with two inserts, I removed one to get a better finish. The radius mill I used fro the edges was the worst, it chattered bad and was probably the biggest reason i went to the polishing room to sand it.

I've experienced what your talking about. Like I said I'm no machinist. But slowing down or speeding up the spindle rpm. That then how dull is the cutter? I am fortunate to have a full tool build shop, I can usually find a carbide end mill that the tool makers is dull and get by with it. Carbide runs at amazing rpm and will cut just about anything. Like H13 tool steel like butter.

Old 02-15-2012, 01:10 PM
Overdrive Member

Up first is the new PS pump. I was supposed to thread the bolt in the hole. I would drop to the bottom with no resistance. Thanks Summit. Nice craftsmanship.
Name:  040800x600.jpg
Views: 19
Size:  42.9 KB

Notice the lack of threads?
Name:  039800x600.jpg
Size:  40.7 KB

I took it up to work and drilled it for a 3/8" bolt. The one that went in this hole was just not right. Here is the original bolt in the adjusting bar. Too loose for me.

Name:  042800x600.jpg
Views: 20
Size:  38.1 KB

The bracket itself adjust forward and back so I can get the pulley alignment dead on. The bad thing is I have to mark it then tear it apart to tighten the bolts in the slider.
Name:  004800x600.jpg
Views: 17
Size:  47.5 KB
The finished product doesn't look the same as the pic at all and I have this pile of left over parts. LOL Good thing its not a gas grill I guess. I like the end result and it seems functional and sturdy.

Notice anything new? I got the Stealth Ram on for chits and gigs. A new chrome 140 amp alternator. Yes I need 140 for what I'm planning. Guess what the summit alt bracket almost works with the summit alt. The adjuster isn't quite long enough. Never fear I will use the lathe tonight to fab an extension.

Old 02-15-2012, 01:29 PM
Overdrive Member

Got more pics, and a new camera. So I'm pic happy at the moment. This is for the guy who uses the search engine down the road to seen the difference in a Stealth Ram and a Performer PRM. The drop base is the deepest I could find. A thing of beauty on its own. It also has a 1" spacer on there.
Name:  019800x600.jpg
Views: 21
Size:  92.8 KB
Name:  022800x600.jpg
Size:  74.8 KB

Remember this was for fun and it will come back off. I will run the carb this summer just because i don't want to spend the whole summer working out drivability issues with the EFI. Who ever owned this prior to me must have got rid of it because the couldn't get a handle on the tune. There is so much varnish on the inside. It stinks. I blasted the plenum box with brake clean at work. It seems to come right off but geez. Runnin a little rich?

Here's a nice nice clean lifter valley
Name:  023800x600.jpg
Size:  83.1 KB
This is the nicest part about a two piece set up. You can get a ratchet on all the bolts. Name:  025800x600.jpg
Size:  84.8 KB

Name:  024800x600.jpg
Size:  50.9 KB

Lining up the runners couldn't be simpler.

Name:  027800x600.jpg
Views: 22
Size:  29.5 KB

The two center holes come set up so you can put them on late 80's heads. I think there is supposed to be an insert that goes in here, I think a large washer and some silicone should do.Name:  029800x600.jpg
Size:  77.2 KB
And finally the Magnaflow exhaust. Damn this thing is heavy. Purdy though. I know my garage is a mess. I'm headed out there tonight to get everything in order so I can swap the motor in our new Cherokee. That has a V8 and it will be hard to resist hot rodding My buddy with the dodge is going to a 6.0 LS in his. So that will leave all the performance goodies up for grabs. The two have the same 4.7L.

Old 02-15-2012, 02:44 PM
2nd Gear member

Damon, Seet looking set-up. It is good that you enjoy fabbing things,LOL. Sometimes you just need to.
Damon and Val, Next time you machine alum, steal some of the wife dish soap. It's a great cutting fluid. Waterless hand cleaner isn't too bad either!!

Hey Damon, hows that snowblower rebuild comming??

Last edited by rydeer; 02-15-2012 at 03:33 PM.
Old 02-15-2012, 06:16 PM
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by rydeer
Damon, Seet looking set-up. It is good that you enjoy fabbing things,LOL. Sometimes you just need to.
Damon and Val, Next time you machine alum, steal some of the wife dish soap. It's a great cutting fluid. Waterless hand cleaner isn't too bad either!!

Do you use it full strength, or dilute it some with water?

Old 02-15-2012, 06:17 PM
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Damon, love the new goodies for the engine! Sure hope we see that bad boy running soon!

Old 02-15-2012, 06:34 PM
Overdrive Member

Originally Posted by rydeer

We buy cutting fluid by the barrel. No issue there. We got a foot of snow when I tore into that snowblower. No real accumulation since. I need someone to walk me through adjusting the valves. I almost did a partial trade on the riding lawn mower. I can't part with it though. It was my dads. I'll just have to learn how to work on it. It will get boxed up tonight when I clean. I really just keep forgetting to get gaskets.

Old 02-19-2012, 04:53 AM
Overdrive Member

Well nothing real exciting to report. I got the firewall tacked in. I screwed up again. I got too impacient an started tacking every inch or so. I warped it. Pretty good too. Oh well. I'll do my best to cover it. I'm not building another panel.

I got the Cherokee home the night before last. That was fun. I went and paid for it before work. The paper work made me late. I told the mechanic/ used car dealer that I would be back after work with the a trailer. He was fine with it and told me he would have it accessible. Well the trailer that I borrow has a winch. It is kind of loud, loud enough that the people living across from the garage called the cops. In my rush to get to work, I left my bill of sale on the guys desk. So now I'm out there with the cops trying to prove I bought it. They didn't believe me when I showed them my check book. It has a carbon copy. The dealership is a different name then the name of the garage. Totally different. And there was no way this was a 1700 vehicle. One of them knew the guy and went to his house at 1:30 am to find out. I was good but not without feeling like I was doing something wrong. They thanked me for being very polite and cooperative and left.

Now here she is. No Vall it doesn't have the 4L inline 6. I like those motors too. My dad is a jeep guy. It has a 4.7L V8. The mechanic thinks I should check the timing chain before pulling the motor. I was all ready to do that, the mechanic was a real nice guy. The only issue is that tonight when I finally got it inside. I had the hood up and was cleaning the garage so I didn't have to work around a mess. I noticed the coolant over flow tank had condensation on it. Oh no! Sure enough, it was full of frozen water. The radiator had a 90* bend right after the fill hole so I can't tell if it is froze. I'll have to keep my fingers crossed. I'll know tomorrow when I pop the heads off if the block is froze. I guess i was planning an engine anyhow but it would have been nice to get out of it cheap.

PICS.
Name:  DSCF1110.jpg
Size:  72.0 KBName:  DSCF1108.jpg
Size:  79.4 KB

This looks like a knuckle buster if i ever saw one.
Name:  DSCF1111.jpg
Size:  85.0 KB

I got the Camaro on the ground to move it. So I snapped one of it. A better idea of the stance now. I got a couple more of the new hood too. Man I can't wait to get the front back on and get a pic out side with everything in place.

Name:  DSCF1114.jpg
Size:  72.6 KB

Last edited by 77nomad; 02-19-2012 at 05:00 AM.

Quick Reply: So here it goes, my project thread (2nd gen)